Freezing weather and..

Circuit breakers seems to be working. Noticed water dripping from underneath the electrical motor. The strainer basket was about half full of water. Possibly related. No one to call being this is a holiday.

Shut the power off to the pump. They can absolutely freeze. I’ve seen many well pumps doing as you describe. Open the drain plugs and see if you get water out.

Check the impeller. See if it’s frozen with ice. If it is, thaw it slowly with the drain plug out and get it freed up. Just a small chunk can cause what you have going on.

If it froze and broke the seal, you have a toast motor. If it cracked the wet end housing, you can patch it with something to get you by.

I’ve also seen them break plastic drain plugs. You can rig one with a wine cork if necessary.

good afternoon
I'll explore Kaylee's suggestions, and I'd like input on replacing the pump. I would replace with an eye on using a salt water generator system with computerized controls, aiming for the least maintenance possible. Dirk has suggested that one way to go is to buy the equipment in the market place not from a dealer/installer, and just look for an installer. Would like some sources to explore. thanks

It’s great to find your own if you can DIY. It may hurt feelings to have a PB / store install it as they lose the markup and will probably just get it right back with an inflated install price. Ideally you’d find an actual plumber who didn’t feel like he lost the sale/profit.

I’m a pentair guy but I’d decide on your future automation preferences / price point and then get the equipment to match it.

The right HVAC person could handle the electric and plumbing which would be more likely than finding a plumber to want do the automation/ electric. It can be tough though to get either to want a small job unless they are selling you the equipment also.

Or you can sub out the parts individually for 2-3 small jobs but then the PB might be the same in the end. Scope it all out and go with your best option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.