Freeze Guard with Multi Speed Pump

May 25, 2016
Richardson, TX
My single speed Hayward Quietflo motor finally has gone out. Instead of replacing it, I opted to order a Sta-rite SuperMax VS. the SuperMax is a multi speed pump with a built in controller. Will my new pump work with my freeze guard? Will I be forced to turn on the pump manually if there's a freeze warning?

Thanks in advance.

Looks as if it will work. That pump has four +5V contact closures with user definable speeds. Inside the freeze guard there are probably 2 relays with mains power in and out on each assuming your old pump was 220V. you will keep the freeze protect connected to power but remove the mains power from the relays turning those relays into simple contact closures and connect the +5v to onse side and one of the inputs (see page 9 of the user manual) HERE

If you are not comfortable with working on 110 or 220V power please get an electrician to do it. If you have having the pump installed having the freeze protect connected up should cost noting or very near it as part of the install.

Looks as if it will work. That pump has four +5V contact closures with user definable speeds. Inside the freeze guard there are probably 2 relays with mains power in and out on each assuming your old pump was 220V. you will keep the freeze protect connected to power but remove the mains power from the relays turning those relays into simple contact closures and connect the +5v to onse side and one of the inputs (see page 9 of the user manual) HERE

If you are not comfortable with working on 110 or 220V power please get an electrician to do it. If you have having the pump installed having the freeze protect connected up should cost noting or very near it as part of the install.
Thanks for the response. I am comfortable working with electrical circuits. I guess I will leave my Intermatic timer up and pull the pins so it's on all the time and run the 5v leads from the freeze guard to the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.