Found algae under main drain cover. Can I remove?

A word of caution about your "makeshift diverter pipe." If memory serves (which it often doesn't!) I believe that one of the reasons they run the main drain off the skimmer, instead of home-running it back to the pad, is because the diverter is designed such that should the pool's water level drop below the skimmer opening (say you're away and the pool evaporates enough), the diverter will engage automatically and in essence close off the skimmer and only pump water from the drain. This would prevent your pump from running itself dry, and possibly getting damaged, and having your circulation get cut off.

I didn't pursue this because I actually had my main drains plastered over. But with yours intact, you might try to find out if your skimmer, with its original diverter, could offer this extra benefit.

Guys, is it Inyo Pools that offers all the great help to us on obscure pool parts?
Yes it is. I have not had the need to call them myself but I have seen countless posts from folks who have. One recently stood out where the OP had a really bad experience. The owner chimed in on the thread with the store’s struggles this year. Most companies would have shifted all blame to Covid but he refused to lessen the OPs bad experience and took full responsibility for it along with apologizing it went down like it did. He also promised to get things back to normal as soon as the Universe allowed.

They are clearly the people you want trying to make sense in a world that doesn’t make sense. Things will still not work out but at least they are doing their best to do right by you.

I had the pool store look up my skimmer, and my model strangely did not actually come with any sort of diverter plate or skimmer valve. Ill just have to keep water levels in mind if I go away on vacation.

I am getting flow through the drain now, so hopefully I never have to clean it out again.

• Sad
Reactions: Dirk
Not sure that makes sense. Without a diverter of some sort, there would be no reason to make a skimmer like that. The main drain would never get any suction, right? Why would there be a main drain, and why would it run to a skimmer that couldn't provide suction to it? Something's not right... or I'm missing something... Would love to hear from some of our builders on this.

Is the manufacturer still in business?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.