Forgive me, TFP, for I have sinned...

allegedlyrich

Aug 30, 2020
Los Angeles
Before I found the forum, I was definitely lost. Now that I've got a Taylor 2006c and 2 days of reading under my belt, I am found.

Calcium hardness-700ppm
Cya-over 200 ppm
Fc-4ppm, cc 1ppm
Ph-7.2

I've been battling algae since my yard drain backed up and flooded the pool with mud during the storm last March. Thought it just wasn't enough chlorine, but decided to read here to figure it out properly. Since I bought the house with the pool last may, I've been running the tablets in a floater and tossing in a scoop or two of the calcium hypochlorite shock powder to get the test strips to show the proper amount of free chlorine. Boy, did I screw up. Got the pH down from 8 to 7.2 today with .5 gal of muratic acid, then checked the calcium and CYA and got a big surprise.

So should I suck it up and drain it or what? Is LA DWP going to want my first born child to pay for this much water or should I get a filter truck out here? Any experience with them on refilling a pool?

TIA for any responses...
Rich

Last edited:
The only way to reduce CYA to a manageable level is to drain and refill. This is my first year FULLY embracing the methods here. I fought mustard algae for years because of high CYA. You need a 3/4 drain to get down to 50ppm.

Also, to get a GOOD CYA reading, you need to dilute your pool water with tap water. I suggest 1 part pool water, 2 parts tap water. Re-run the CYA test and multiply by 3. If it still tests above 100, you'll need to dilute further.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.