xpert66

Apr 11, 2021
Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Last year I had ball valves and needed to disconnect the union connections at the heater and move the heater a bit to blow out the lines in the heater. This year I installed two 3-way Jandy's at my heater bypass to blow lines out in the winter so I wouldn't have to disconnect and move the heater. A while back some of the guys here on TFP told me these valves are really not meant for this as they are not water tight. Pool guy at one the well known pool places in NJ told me they are air and water tight and any water that came out after removing the caps was just sitting in the short stub piece. I showed him this video and he said that is not normal and of course he has been installing these valves for years and they are 100% water tight. I replaced the O-rings and paddle with a new one and it is def not water tight. The video shows the water coming out continously as the valve is in the closed position. Next year I will replace with ball valves and add a T with cap to blow out the lines. Not sure if it's because I have a 2.7hp pump or not? Could not upload video but here is a frame pic

Attachments

• 20220602_104852_exported_66.jpg
    20220602_104852_exported_66.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
PVC Ball valves have their issues also. They tend to stick after a while and then the handle breaks when you put more force on it. Then you end up using your slip-joint pliers to turn the valve on and off until you get around to replacing it. For this purpose I would leave the Jandy valve and just use a threaded cap and fresh Teflon tape to close off the pipe each season.

Reactions: PoolGate
PVC Ball valves have their issues also. They tend to stick after a while and then the handle breaks when you put more force on it. Then you end up using your slip-joint pliers to turn the valve on and off until you get around to replacing it. For this purpose I would leave the Jandy valve and just use a threaded cap and fresh Teflon tape to close off the pipe each season.
Yes understand. Next season I may replace with double unions ball valves

That dude assumes they are water tight. I doubt he has ever installed them open to the air so it's just an assumption on his part that they are water tight. And when you first install them they might be watertight but in the long run due to their nature they will develop leaks.

Reactions: xpert66
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.