Fluctuating chlorine level

PoolGuy38

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 23, 2018
Sherman Oaks, Ca
Thanks in advance for any suggestions you contribute. We have a 10,000 gallon lap pool. 10x30 ft. It’s 4 yrs old. Equipment is Jandy SWG. We live in Los Angeles Ca. Salt level is 3200. CYA 70. Variable pump runs 8 hrs a day. When salt generator set to 40 chlorine level will rise to 10 in a few days. If we lower the setting to 30 the level will fall to 7-8 within 2-3 days. If we leave it at 30 the chlorine level will fall to 5-6. I’d like to keep the level around 8. There is no setting of 35. I’ve thought of using setting of 40 and reducing pump run time to 7 hrs a day but thought I’d get some suggestions here first.

Whatever combination gets you where you want to be. You could also shut either the pump or the swg down when the chlorine gets high and let it drift down. That's pretty much what I do.

Sounds like you are losing about 2ppm in two days (or 1ppm in day) when on 30%. Just use Poolmath's effects of adding to calculate the required runtime to produce 1ppm more, either on 30% (then it'll be a bit longer than 8h) or on 40% (then it'll be about shorter).

Sounds like you are losing about 2ppm in two days (or 1ppm in day) when on 30%. Just use Poolmath's effects of adding to calculate the required runtime to produce 1ppm more, either on 30% (then it'll be a bit longer than 8h) or on 40% (then it'll be about shorter).
Thanks for the suggestions. I used the pool math app to calculate as mgtfp suggested however the results are confusing. I’ve tried attaching a screenshot.

Attachments

• 10ECF117-9A7C-4B72-BE22-EC6FE326F5D2.png
    10ECF117-9A7C-4B72-BE22-EC6FE326F5D2.png
    435.2 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for the suggestions. I used the pool math app to calculate as mgtfp suggested however the results are confusing. I’ve tried attaching a screenshot.
Why are the results confusing? For a SWG at maximum output producing 0.92 lb of chlorine over 24 hours, if you set chlorine demand to 2 ppm and the SWG output to 40%, the pump will need to run 11 hours.

If your SWG has an output of 0.92 as shown in your screenshot, then Poolmath tells you with the "Free Chlorine Generated" setting that 8h on 30% produces 1.1ppm of FC, which seems to have been not enough, and on 40% it produces 1.5ppm, which was too much. You can try 7h at 40% which would yield 1.3ppm. Just play around with Poolmath.

I am surprised that 1.5ppm per day is too much. Are you sure you picked the right SWG in PoolMath? You haven't specified the exact Jandy model in your signature or your post. Would be helpful to update your signature with that.

Do you have a pool cover?

I checked again. It’s a Jandy Tru Clear Pro unit. Yes we recently put a cover on the pool. It’s a light weight bubble wrap kind of Cover. I’m going to try 40% for 7 hrs. I’ll let you know how that works out and thanks again.

Reactions: mgtfp
Thought I’d provide some follow up information. I’ve tried various combinations of chlorinator settings and time. We’ve had some hot weather here in Los Angeles but cooler now. It’s not been possible to choose one setting for the chlorinator so I’ve changed it accordingly. Now that the weather is cooler changes are not needed as often. There’s no question that the cover has influenced things. All in all it’s been very doable. Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions.

Are you running your VSP on a really low RPM? Curious why you're running 7-8 hours and using the SWCG at 30-40%?
Your pump run time is only necessitated by need to make chlorine, skim and filter. At low RPM's, it matters less, but wanted to make sure you're not burning expensive SoCal electricity for no benefit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good question. As I understand it this is a variable speed pump so I'm not sure what the actual speed is. The person who installed the system recommended we run it 8 hrs a day. I've tried lowering the length of the run time by 1-3 hrs but that doesn't seem to change the need for the adjustments I mentioned above. We've had no problems with algae for some time so I'm reluctant to change much.

Good question. As I understand it this is a variable speed pump so I'm not sure what the actual speed is. The person who installed the system recommended we run it 8 hrs a day. I've tried lowering the length of the run time by 1-3 hrs but that doesn't seem to change the need for the adjustments I mentioned above. We've had no problems with algae for some time so I'm reluctant to change much.
Ok, definitely should check run speed. Pool company probably has it running max speed, 8 hours a day burning tons of electricity for no benefit.

I checked. It’s running at 2000 rpm.
I run mine just high enough to let the swg work, 1200 rpm, and let it run round the clock. I keep this schedule year round since though it gets too cold to swim, the pool stays open through the winter.

When the swg stops working due to cold Temps, I add chlorine manually, but don't need much in winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.