Florida pool child safety law compliance

Oct 16, 2016
Tampa
We are not screening in our pool but obviously need to be compliant with the child pool safety law. I understand that all windows and doors must be alarmed. But it sounds like my yard fence cannot count as a barrier because it encloses more than just the perimeter of the pool. Am I reading that correctly? What would be the easiest methods for meeting the requirement? All of the pools in my neighborhood are all 20 plus years old and no one here is compliant.

as i understand it, you need one or the other. alarms on doors or windows that can access the pool or a child safety fence installed around the pool. Your existing fence will not work if it is attached to your house and does not separate pool access from your house.

Is that the one that sounds an alarm if there is movement in the pool? If so, do you have dogs or live in an area with critters? False alarms may be scary, if you have kids in the home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're unsure, go to your local building department and ask to talk with an inspector that does pools. They can quickly tell you what is acceptable to your local code requirements as they have seen every style of pool safety systems.

I've copied the relevant section from the FL swimming pool safety law below... If you don't have any young children or other non-swimmers in your house then (c) is probably the simplest option IMO. They're pretty cheap and easy to install. Here's link to the ones we bought.

FRYS.comDoberman Security

[SIZE=-1]515.27 Residential swimming pool safety feature options; penalties.—(1) In order to pass final inspection and receive a certificate of completion, a residential swimming pool must meet at least one of the following requirements relating to pool safety features:(a) The pool must be isolated from access to a home by an enclosure that meets the pool barrier requirements of s. 515.29;
(b) The pool must be equipped with an approved safety pool cover;
(c) All doors and windows providing direct access from the home to the pool must be equipped with an exit alarm that has a minimum sound pressure rating of 85 dB A at 10 feet;
(d) All doors providing direct access from the home to the pool must be equipped with a self-closing, self-latching device with a release mechanism placed no lower than 54 inches above the floor; or
(e) A swimming pool alarm that, when placed in a pool, sounds an alarm upon detection of an accidental or unauthorized entrance into the water. Such pool alarm must meet and be independently certified to ASTM Standard F2208, titled “Standard Safety Specification for Residential Pool Alarms,” which includes surface motion, pressure, sonar, laser, and infrared alarms. For purposes of this paragraph, the term “swimming pool alarm” does not include any swimming protection alarm device designed for individual use, such as an alarm attached to a child that sounds when the child exceeds a certain distance or becomes submerged in water.

(2) A person who fails to equip a new residential swimming pool with at least one pool safety feature as required in subsection (1) commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, except that no penalty shall be imposed if the person, within 45 days after arrest or issuance of a summons or a notice to appear, has equipped the pool with at least one safety feature as required in subsection (1) and has attended a drowning prevention education program established by s. 515.31. However, the requirement of attending a drowning prevention education program is waived if such program is not offered within 45 days after issuance of the citation.
[/SIZE]

Hi Scott,

We just finished our build in Central FL without a screen and I installed the aluminum perimeter fence myself, so had to read up on the FL pool safety codes to pass inspection. Here is the best resource I found online regarding FL pool code with images of what inspectors look for:

http://www.floridabuilding.org/fbc/commission/fbc_0506/education_poc/a2_/0-materials-fbcswimmingpoolsfinal06_04_12.pdf

See the pool barrier requirements starting on page 62. Along with the alarms on the windows, the barrier (yard) fence needs to be at least 48'' high and have no more than 2'' clearance from bottom grade. Multiple requirements for access gates (page 72-73) must open outward, be self-closing, latch above 54''.

Seminole county was very particular about these requirements and I failed my first barrier fence inspection because of area's that had more than 2'' clearance to grade. I built up the grade and finally passed barrier and pool safety inspection this week to allow the interior to be completed.

Hopefully this helps.

- Alex

Yes, inspectors will check if your backyard fence is to code. i.e. 2'' maximum clearance underneath all areas of the fence and the gate requirements. You still need alarms on all windows that are facing the pool.

Just follow the link above and you should be all set for inspections.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. Talked to the construction manager today and he gave me the details. Seems he already discussed my fence with the inspector. (It's in pretty rough shape) will patch the fence and add spring hinges to the existing gates to pass inspection (will probably be at the end of next week). Then have most of the fence replaced in another month or so. The door and window alarms that I ordered will get installed. And the expensive pool alarm will be returned. Hope to be filling the pool in a week if all goes well. If not then hopefully by Thanksgiving.

Thanks. The door and window alarms look to be the cheapest route. Bought a set of those on Amazon. Will install that on Monday. Should have my final inspection mid to late week next week. This has been a fast build!

Not sure if you ordered the same alarms that I linked in my post. If so, I just met with my PB yesterday and he took a look at the ones I bought and said they typically won't pass inspection if they have an on/off switch, which those do. So I now have to get a set that will meet that requirement. He said to look for alarms that are UL 2017 compliant and they should be compliant with the safety code. Unfortunately the UL 2017 options look to be more expensive than the ones I originally bought so you should weight that against the other options.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.