Floc in the sand filter

Valenjam

Jul 21, 2020
Dover
So after a month or more of "teal" cloudy water I finally figured out that the new fancy fountain I installed was not circulating my water properly and causing many other issues, which resulted in me having to floc my pool. Im a newbie and the girl at the pool store wrote down directions which I thought I followed correctly. Apparently though when she wrote circulate the floc for 2 hours she meant switch the pump to recirculate., I didn't realize that until it was too late....like I was done the whole project too late. So I basically ran the floc through my sand filter for 2 hours let it sit all night, vacuumed to waste twice the next day, backwashed and rinsed the filter then set it back to filter. My question is will this mess up my sand filter? Do I need to replace the sand? Any advice or recommendations? I really don't want to have any more problems.

Hello Valanjam, welcome to TFP although sorry its under these circumstances.

Well, if you're gonna do a big no-no like FLOC, at least it was with sand. Its more of a disaster with Cartridge and DE filters.
Did FLOC fix what ailed your pool? It rarely does, sadly. The only time we recommend its usage is after a fire when the pool is full of ashes. At least its not Clarifier- that really gums up a filter bad!! <whew!>

If you can open the filter up and give it a good deep cleaning, it should help some. FLOC is nasty stuff meant only to be vac'd out directly to waste.

That's about all I can tell you about the filter.... Lets talk water! How does the pool look now? Are you having algae problems or something else we can help you with???

Maddie

Hello and Welcome toTFP!!

Unfortunately floc wasn't the solution to your problem and it caused you more issues. While poor circulation can contribute, the real issue of 'teal" water is an algae outbreak. The cure is chlorine, liquid chlorine.

Please fill out your signature with your pool information (size, type) and equipment information and it will help us help you by offering more detailed advice.

Next piece of advice is to stay out of the pool store. They either gave you bad information or weren't clear on their instructions. The advice wasn't good either.

We also highly recommend getting a quality test kit. I highly recommend getting the TF-100 test kit from TFTestkits. Don't let sticker shock set in, it really is worth every penny. Try not to base your decisions on price since the TF-100 is a much better value than the Taylor K-2006c or less expensive kits. Consider it an investment into your pool that will end up saving you money in the long run.

We will be happy to work with you to get your pool all sparkly clean again.

Hello Valanjam, welcome to TFP although sorry its under these circumstances.

Well, if you're gonna do a big no-no like FLOC, at least it was with sand. Its more of a disaster with Cartridge and DE filters.
Did FLOC fix what ailed your pool? It rarely does, sadly. The only time we recommend its usage is after a fire when the pool is full of ashes. At least its not Clarifier- that really gums up a filter bad!! <whew!>

If you can open the filter up and give it a good deep cleaning, it should help some. FLOC is nasty stuff meant only to be vac'd out directly to waste.

That's about all I can tell you about the filter.... Lets talk water! How does the pool look now? Are you having algae problems or something else we can help you with???

Maddie
So I had used clarifier 3 times prior because they kept pushing that stuff. I do think the floc fixed my problem water was finally clear and blue again after weeks of trying everything else. I will add that I did shock it and even double shock it but it was still either slightly teal or so cloudy no matter what else I did, that's why they sent me down the clarifier road which didn't work and finally the floc road. I wish I had found you guys sooner. I will try to get that profile info updated soon too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.