mkmscr

Mar 1, 2013
Charlotte, USA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I’ve noticed what at first seems to be dirt floating on the water after a bad rain storm or wind storm but when I got closer it looked like thousands of little flea like bugs. All my chems are spot on. I realize we aren’t swimming with the pool water being around 50 degrees. The pool runs about 10 hours per day still to keep things flowing. Filters are clean. Skimmers are clean. Is it simply because the water isn’t being agitated enough? Is it a precursor to an algae bloom? Once I scoop them away (collects like fine dirt in my slimmer basket or net) they generally don’t return unless there is heavy rains. Just curious if anyone else sees them and if it’s nothing to be concerned with. Thank you.

Must be a North Carolina thing. Check out this recent thread...

I have them too. I’m in Mooresville, NC. I don’t know what they are. Mine are typically floating in the skimmers. I run my pump continuously.
I’m in Denver, NC and they are definitely like little fleas. They’re definitely living and they clump together. It’s not the end of the world, it skins off easy but just weird. I’m shocked they can live on the water with the chlorine and cold temps.

I’m in Denver, NC and they are definitely like little fleas. They’re definitely living and they clump together. It’s not the end of the world, it skins off easy but just weird. I’m shocked they can live on the water with the chlorine and cold temps.
Look up "springtails". Check out the link in Post #2.

They are springtails. They're harmless. They like moisture, damp soil, detritus. Our lawn butts up pretty close to our pool, we usually get them buy the thousands (millions) in the spring/summer. Or at least that's when I notice them the most because we are out there using the pool. Sprinkling a little dry DE around the perimeter of the pool helps some. I've gotten them in the house before too, around sinks and drains. They're gross but don't bite and won't hurt you. Hope this helps put your mind at ease.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.