Fish keeping in an intex pool?

Davidli123

Mar 28, 2020
SoCal
Hello,

i am interested in getting an intex pool to keep fish in. Can these pools stay up all year long and how long do they typically last?

i am thinking between a prism frame and ultra xtr frame. I don’t know if I could get away with just using a prism since there won’t be anyone jumping/swimming in it, so the pool don’t need to go thru a lot of stress.

thank you

Hello and welcome to our forum! :wave: Well, not normally the question we asked here, but if you plan on buying a pool simply to use for fish, almost like a water garden, I don't see why you couldn't. Naturally you wouldn't be using traditional pool chemicals, so we can't speak much to the longevity of the pool (liner) based on natural elements and exposure to the sun. When I made a water garden in my backyard years ago, I used a heavy liner made for such purposes. A bit thicker. Not sure if that will be an issue later or not. Good luck!

The big difference between the prism frame and the ultra xtr frame is that the ultra xtr frame is made of galvanized steel and is powder coated on the inside and outside of the frame. The prism frame is made of regular steel and only powder coated on the outside and as such is very prone to rust. The xtr will almost certainly last longer.

You didn’t mention whether you were planning to keep saltwater fish or freshwater fish, but rust would be a big concern for me if you were planning to go with saltwater and I think that in itself would rule the prism frame out.

The pools can definitely stay up year round. If you’re in a climate where it freezes then you need to take special precautions to protect the plumbing and pumps during the freeze, but if you’re in a warmer climate then you can just leave it operational all winter.

Do keep in mind that unless you actively heat and cool the water that you may have very large temperature swings, not only throughout the year, but also between day and night, and this can be a problem for a lot of fish. I keep my pool up year round in Florida with no active heating or cooling and the pool water can get as warm as the upper 80’s or even into the 90’s during the summer and as cool as the 50’s and 60’s during the winter. During this time of year when the days are warm but the nights are still cool I can have a temp swing of as much as 6 or 8 degrees from day to night.

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback. Sorry for the late reply, I thought my thread got deleted because I was having a tough time finding it.

i have two more follow up question,
Is index the best brand or are there something similar that might be more durable?

Do they have to be perfectly leveled when put on concrete? Today i went to the spot that Im thinking of placing my pool with the leveler. I’m not sure how to read it, but the bubble on the leveler is on the right line. So, when the bubble is in the middle it is balanced but it was slightly to the right line, off by a bit. Sorry if that is not well explained.

thank you again

Thank you for the feedback. Sorry for the late reply, I thought my thread got deleted because I was having a tough time finding it.

i have two more follow up question,
Is index the best brand or are there something similar that might be more durable?

Do they have to be perfectly leveled when put on concrete? Today i went to the spot that Im thinking of placing my pool with the leveler. I’m not sure how to read it, but the bubble on the leveler is on the right line. So, when the bubble is in the middle it is balanced but it was slightly to the right line, off by a bit. Sorry if that is not well explained.

thank you again
what size are you thinking of getting? they generally should be within and inch or 2 level or you risk failure.

It's nearly impossible to keep fish in the pool during the summer. You need good filtration and aquatic plants help keep the water clean. I used to keep live bait when I lived on the lake years ago and had to do a large kiddie pool in the basement the water got nasty fast. I ran a circulating system for a while cycling lake water nut ended up inside was much easier. The sun is the enemy you may get help if you can shade it with a tarp or shade sail

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.