First year using Cal-Hypo. No change with SLAM, what’s wrong?

Poolsnotmygame

Apr 25, 2019
Massapequa, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
FC - 19
CC - 1???
CYA - 40
TA - 40 (going to correct to 60)
Ph - 7.6
Cal - vinyl, I dont measure this

So, I opened and got the shown photo of a swampy pool. Shocked, brushed, kept the filter running all day and night and woke up to the same color. Usually after slamming, I see the algae and bacteria death, the water turns cloudy. What’s happening here? I dont get it. Using calcium hypo chlorite this year because I can’t stomach the liquid chlorine prices anymore, but I’ve never had this problem with it before. Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• 7DE8E572-6DEE-4C7C-B837-BE6E87E99DD8.jpeg
    7DE8E572-6DEE-4C7C-B837-BE6E87E99DD8.jpeg
    598 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
You also mentioned no need for the CH for vinyl but if there's a heater in the mix you'd need 200ppm to keep it healthy. It would be helpful if you filled in your signature so it would be visible to all what you have as far as equipment. You can click the link in my signature to begin.

The PH isn't accurate above FC of 10 so leave it alone till the slam is over. It's also not necessary to check CC until the end is near as the FC will tell you plenty while it's burning away
So, you’re saying just keep at it as planned? I would have assumed CC would jump up. I’m not sure the FC is even being used at this point.

Yes keep at it as planned. Before the slam is when the PH is adjusted but at this point let it go. I'd double check the CYA level you have as it my be a little above 40 and your calling it 40. If there's any doubt call it 50 and slam for that otherwise the slam will get nowhere very fast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.