First year SLAMer second time concerns

May 27, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Hi All,

I thought this was the year where I finally had this pool thing by the you know whats, but alas .... I got a little to big for my britches. Before I get to my current dilemma, Here's the breakdown / timeline:

Milwaukee, WI area
- We bought a safety cover last fall opening was a BREEZE!!! So happy
- SLAMed for my first time, late May.
- 3 days pool was crystal, 5 days complete! YAY!!!
- Season humming along fine, mid June I replaced my filter sand and do some additional pool maintenance, add a pressure gauge, clean up, etc.
- Here's where I may start getting yelled at.... I get talked into the tablets for my 3" feeder. It's a combo 4 in one type of thing crystal clear, even makes the water feel nicer and people said how their hair didn't feel as crispy.
- Two weeks ago, my son and I had been in the pool, again perfect water, test every couple days, ph is a little high but that's it
- Two DAYS go by we're not in the pool, solar cover on it, open up to swim the deep end is yellow, shallow end you can barrely see bottom.
- This is 5 days ago or so, and it is a green pond now!!!!

I assume my CYA levels have somehow sky rocketed. NO Everything seems correct except PH is on the high side. NOTE: have test kit refills on order, had been replying on strips after running out. I get

My question is, I'm starting the SLAM with these results, is the higher PH going to be a problem? I tried to lower, but my Chlorine level was already really high, but I was only relying on strips, didn't get these numbers until today:
- FC 7.99
- TC 8.99
- CC .6
- PH 7.8
- Copper .1
- Iron .1
Phosphate 200ppb
CYA 32

As first poster indicates, yes these are of course from the pool store machine.

As always thanks in advance for the help, and getting me 2/3 of the way through the season Pool store free!

- - - Updated - - -

I should say, I take full responsibility for getting lazy and reveling in my crystal clear water, and was ABSOLUTELY mind blown that it got so nasty so quickly!!! Now I pay the price (literally and figuratively) :(

Youre not going to like this, but nobody on this site will believe those test results because they are from a well known incorrect source...your pool store.

We cant really help until you make the decision to get your own test kit and stop listening to the people that only want your hard earned money.

And, yes, your CYA skyrocketed due to the chlorine tablets.

Well, you've already put yourself in the timeout corner for pool neglect :poke: so there's not much else to do now except to SLAM Process once you have your test kit refills. I wouldn't try to do too much until you can verify all of your own chemical levels. At some point, please include your test kit in your signature so we see it on each post. Good luck!

Ok, will do @ test kit. 2 days, ignored her for 2 days and crystal to muckfest. The strips had to have been giving me a false sense of security :*(

- - - Updated - - -

for what its worth the kit is k-2006. I'm REALLY curious to do side by side with the sheet the pool store gave me!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.