May 19, 2021
Northern Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey Guys!

It's my first year with my new home and AG pool. It has been an incredible experience to own a pool and I wouldn't have had so much FUN with it if it wasn't for this forum.

Now I have read the closing posts for AG pools. And I have a few questions ( I am in Chicagoland area for weather details):

1) I bought closing chemicals which seem to say be added and manually mixed. Do I drain the pool below the skimmer 6" then add and manually mix with a brush?

2) Prior to doing the above I plan on raising my FC to SLAM levels and let it come down some and then do the above step .... Is this the best approach? How low should I let it come down to? Regular/recommended levels for my CYA?

3) I want to replace the skimmer (had some cracks and is original). I have the replacement is it best to replace now when cooler or in the spring / early summer when I open? I know I need to be cautious with the liner etc. So better when colder (now) or warmer (late spring?).

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Last edited:
I don’t use closing kits. I make sure everything is balanced and slam with bleach. I keep the pump running for as long as I can before it’s going to freeze. Than I drain down to just below the return and no more. If your using hoses, take them off the pool. Remove pump and put it somewhere it won’t freeze if you can. If you can’t do any of this, drain or blow out as much water from the system as you can. I decided to just use a leaf net this year so I’m going to leave the return line attached and hook a vacuum hose to it, place it out in the yard for overflow. Then I’ll add bleach as needed this winter. I have a submersible pump it circulate the water.

Reactions: ccfc1986
I suspect the closing water level will also depend on if you are using a cover since the (solid) cover relies on the water's surface for support. If you are not using a Polyquat 60 algaecide, then just increase to SLAM level and leave it. But I agree with Selenap, wait as long as you can and open as early as possible. Mix the chemicals before shutting off the pump. As for the skimmer, I'd wait. Good luck!

I will be covering the AG pool with a tarp. I'll be lowering the level below the skimmer and using a 4x8 pool pillow.

I have SLAM'ed the pool and the FC levels are back down to 11. I had to add water as I accidentally drained too much... Should I retest my CYA? Or just wait till spring to make sure there's enough to stabilize the remaining chlorine over the winter months?

I have two pouches of winterization stuff here. I'm on the fence about using them. One is "Winter Oxy Plus" and the other is "Dry Granular Winterized". From inyopools I believe from the receipt.

I'll likely have the pool shut within the next couple of days...and likely reopened in late April?

Again sorry for all the newbie questions. Just want to limit my chances of issues come opening time (can't wait already and I haven't even closed it yet!!!).

Thanks again!

Or just wait till spring to make sure there's enough to stabilize the remaining chlorine over the winter months?
Yes, that's what I would do. Just be sure you have at least 30, and if it's 40 - 50 that's fine as well. Look at the ingredients of those winter products. If they have trichlor or dichlor, they are granular chlorine with stabilizer which could increase the CYA a bit. Honestly, liquid chlorine would be your best bet to increase the FC as needed. If you use an algaecide, be sure it's a Polyquat 60 type product (non-copper). Be sure the tarp is secured well, but also watch the side walls to ensure they don't bow inwards. Be ready with a small cover pump to remove water if your pillow should happen to lose air. That or just remove the cover if it's not frozen in place. Open as early as you can to catch any potential growth before it gets out of hand. Questions? Keep 'em coming. That's what everyone is here for.

and likely reopened in late April?
Let the weather decide. I know so many people locked into a specific date mentally. Some years we are sweating buckets in March and others we are getting blizzards in April. I always opened with daily highs in the 50s, long before anyone wanted to swim because looking at the pool was SO much more pleasing than looking at the cover. It won’t need much maintenance at the time so it’s not like opening it will have you slaving over it. The little bit you do have to do will ensure it’s not a swamp a month later, which would be tons of work to fix.

If the weather reverts and one last cold snap returns, it won’t be cold enough or long enough to matter. Running the pump will be fine to keep it from freezing.

Here is what I do, for what it is worth.

I balance my water to "normal" operating specs - after all, that is how I want it when I open. Salt, CYA, TA, CH are all where I want them.

I run my FC up above SLAM levels.

I get my water level to about 1/4 of the way up my skimmer opening. I tell myself that I am going to stay on top of things this year, and that I will keep water off of my solid cover so that it does not push my treated and balanced pool water up and out of the pool.

I put a plate on the skimmer and a plug in the return

I pull my pump and filter, break it down, and do my off season maintenance (seals, gaskets, deep clean, etc) then store it in the shed.

I cover my pool with a solid cover.

I open as soon as it starts to get even a little warm out. I open to clear water, usually with around 0.5 to 1.0 of FC in it.

If I kept up with removing water from the cover, then the cover is leaf free and maybe I have to add an inch of water to the pool

If I didn't keep up with the cover, then despite my best effort to get everything off the cover, I usually end up with 5 gallons of murky rotted leaf water dumping into my pool. I then stand there and curse as I watch the green cloud slowly spread across the pool, knowing that I can't vacuum for an other 2 hours because I have to add like 6" of water to get it up to the skimmer.

I honestly do not understand what people do to their pool pillows.

I have had my pool 10 years. I am on my second pillow. I got a new one after 7 years because the grommets ripped on my old one. It still held air, I just could not tie a rope to it.

Thank you ALL for all the feedback. I cannot say thank you enough to all your kind folks taking the time to reply.

I spent my event closing up the pool. Here is what i did and i think i feel pretty comfortable/happy.

1. 24 hours ago - SLAM'ed the pool based on at the time testing levels etc.
2. Waited for FC levels to drop to a little higher than my usual levels day to day.
3. Drained the pool to about 3/4 inches below the skimmer/return.
4. disconnected all flexible hoses (would liked to have plugged the return - but i couldn't find my plug... will be buying new one(s)).
5. disconnected pump from filter and filter from heater
6. placed 4x8 pillow in 'center' and connected via yarn/string to side of pool wall (very loose term here, cause that was about as frustrating a thing as i've done all week).
7. covered pool with new cover and cranked to 'tight' but not 'too' tight.
8. Place plastic tarp clips around the rest of the pool where it was a little 'flappy' to reduce wind effects on the pool (live in Chicago and in the corn fields - so wind is a concern).
9. Had a beer
10. Stared at the pool floats sitting half deflated on my deck needing to be fully deflated and cleaned. Just don't have it in me to complete that part of this tonight...

Tomorrow will:
1. Run to HD to buy caps for the heater inlet/outlet (pretty sure i need something there - the heater will get covered with a tarp for winter). How do i winterize this fully? Just let the water dry up that in there then cap the in/outlet and cover with a tarp? Gas line is shut off and power is turned off also.
2. Open filter and clean cartridge with hose (any recommendations here? Should i spray / clean it with something other than water? I've read there are some sprays for it... but i figure maybe some liquid chlorine mixed with water in bottle - so its pretty strong?)
3. Disconnect pump from filter (they sit on a plastic bad together)
4. Remove all seals and lube up and then replace lid for pump
5. Detach pool cover from its rod (whatever its called) rinse down and wait to dry and store in shed - leaving the reel on the ground by the pool by a fence.

Anything i am missing? My neighbor has an AG pool as well - and he seems to place his manual cover on top of the pool - not sure why? Maybe to help keep the cover/pillow in place? I was just going to do number 5 above and call it a day.

In the spring i plan on redoing some of my piping to include a 3 way valve and 1 way valve (not sure the name, brain not functioning well) for a heater by pass and so i can easily work on all the parts independently - right now i need to plug too much stuff to work on the heater, or filter, or pump.

Again, thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I am now going to enjoy the beer i opened 15 mins ago when i started this post.

CHEERS

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you ALL for all the feedback. I cannot say thank you enough to all your kind folks taking the time to reply.

6. placed 4x8 pillow in 'center' and connected via yarn/string to side of pool wall (very loose term here, cause that was about as frustrating a thing as i've done all week).

9. Had a beer

5. Detach pool cover from its rod (whatever its called) rinse down and wait to dry and store in shed - leaving the reel on the ground by the pool by a fence.

Anything i am missing? My neighbor has an AG pool as well - and he seems to place his manual cover on top of the pool - not sure why? Maybe to help keep the cover/pillow in place? I was just going to do number 5 above and call it a day.

6) They make a thing that is basically two large pieces of Velcro with adhesive on the back. You stick one on the bottom of the center of your cover. You stick the other on your pillow. That way you can stick the pillow to the center of the cover and it stays there while you pull the cover on. I have never used it. I just curse a lot while installing the pillow, and that seems to do the trick

9) That helps a lot

5) I have a solar cover on a reel that goes across the middle of my pool. I also have two posts in the side of my yard where I can pivot it to when I take it off the pool. In the winter I clean the solar cover, put it on the posts and unreel it so it dries. Once dry I roll it back up on the reel, cover it with a tarp and truss it up like a roast beef. I put an extra support under the middle of it because it is over 27' long and with snow it tends to get a bit scary with how much it bows. It spends the entire winter looking like a giant blue burrito near my woodpile. I used to fold it and store it, but now with the reel it is on, even if I removed it, the reel would still have to live outside. I don't have a place to store a 28' long 4" diameter aluminum pole (well I do, but I don't think it would look too good in the living room)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.