First Timer Needs Help

I have finally got the pool drained, filled back up, pump ran for a few hours and then I tested.

These are my results.

FC = 0
CC - 0
PH - 7.8 to 8
TA - 110
Calcium - 90
CYA 45
Salt - 2800

I added liquid chlorine to get the FC up to 5 as calculated by pool math. I am going to get 212lbs of salt this afternoon and muriatic acid to lower the PH and TA then aerate to raise the PH.

Menards, walmart, and lowes don't carry it around here.

So, all I have put in so far is around 100 ounces of liquid chlorine. The pool turned a very light green and is a tad cloudy. I can still see to the bottom. I took all my readings again. CYA is saying it went up to around 70 without me adding anything. Can the CYA test be thrown off by cloudy water? FC is 3 and CC is 0.5. PH is 7.8.

I am adding salt tonight but hesitant to do anything until I figure this CYA level out. Maybe being dusk I didn't have enough light outside for the test.

CYA will read higher in reduced light. Wait for bright sun. Raise the FC to a CYA of 50 as that was your last secure reading. FC of 3 is your absolutle minimum. I would raise it to target levels.
Since your water is cloudy, perhaps you should consider an OCLT.

I checked my CYA this morning and it was at 60. Not sure if that can be clouded by me adding 240lbs of salt last night.

These are my chlorine levels from last night and this morning. Only lost 0.5ppm on the FC. It was also a little after dawn when I checked this morning.

Last night
FC - 3
CC - 0.5

This morning
FC - 2.5
CC - 0.5

I am going to add some muriatic acid tonight to drop my PH down a little and start my SWG. Hopefully the light green color will clear up. I might take the water in to have it tested for metals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Two questions before I get this thing filled back up tonight.

1. How long after filling with fresh water and running the pump can I start doing tests on the water levels?

2. I have some pesky pine needles and leaves that are lodged down around my main drain. What is the best way to get them out? Skimmer vacuum gets some of it each time and has great suction but doesn't want to get them all out. My plan was to switch from the brush to vacuum over and over until I got it all. Is there a different attachment for the pole to get in there or is there a better manual vacuum than the cheap-o triangle see through one I can get?

When vacuuming are you shutting the valve to the main drain to get more suction from the skimmer?

I got my SWG started up last night. This morning my FC was 2.5 and CC was 0. Got my PH to 7.6. The water still has a slight green tint. Going to let it run for the week. If it doesn't go away I will take the water to get tested for metals. I eventually need to get my TA down from 110 but I am going to work on that week by week.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.