First timer clearing out the lines with a single skimmer, no deep end - questions!

sambot

Jun 1, 2018
WV
Hi everyone! This is my first time back since you all helped me get my swamp to a beautiful oasis!

First of all I have read this guide: Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool but I have read conflicting information on the forum and elsewhere so I wanted some personalized advice.

So far this is my strategy for closing:

-Drain pool below skimmer
-Remove eyeballs
-Connect air compressor to the pump to blow out air (I saw a youtube video where a guy connected it to the drain plug on the pump)
-Plug the jets

This is where I get a little confused. While the air compressor is blowing out the lines to my skimmer, do I need to to have a shopvac ready to suck out the excess water so I can properly drain that?

Also, is there any way to skip the air compressor completely and just use the pump to suck the water out of the lines?

This is my plan once I get the water out of the lines:
-Poor antifreeze down the lines through the skimmer
-Plug it with a gizmo and add some antifreeze to the skimmer area

Any advice will be great. It would be cool if I didn't have to use the air compressor because we don't have one, I am trying to get one from a family member. We don't have a shopvac either but a friend is letting us borrow one, but it only has suction capabilities.

This is where I get a little confused. While the air compressor is blowing out the lines to my skimmer, do I need to to have a shopvac ready to suck out the excess water so I can properly drain that?

This just helps remove the water in the skimmer housing as well and I would do this also.

Also, is there any way to skip the air compressor completely and just use the pump to suck the water out of the lines?

I would do both as the shop vac may not get everything out.

This is my plan once I get the water out of the lines: -Poor antifreeze down the lines through the skimmer -Plug it with a gizmo and add some antifreeze to the skimmer area

Are you in West Virginia? If so, no antifreeze is needed down the lines, and the Gizzmo acts as the buffer. No need for pour extra antifreeze either. If you want extra protection, then some foam rope along with the Gizzmo is fine.

Any advice will be great. It would be cool if I didn't have to use the air compressor because we don't have one, I am trying to get one from a family member. We don't have a shopvac either but a friend is letting us borrow one, but it only has suction capabilities.

The shop vac may be enough for the skimmer (if you lower the water, suck up the water in the housing first, then clear the lines with air. Although, I do not know if the shop vac will be enough fro the return lines. If you lowered the water below the returns, then the shop vac will do the trick, without any issues. But it must be a good one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.