First time to vacuum the pool. Need some guidance

May 18, 2018
Winnipeg, Canada
Hi,

This is my first time to vacuum a pool. I have read that I have to submerge the vacuum head within the pool and ensure the hose is filled with water before I plug it in the skimmer line. When doing this, should I let the pool motor running and the filter under filter settings? Or should I set the filter to backwash before I plug the hose in the skimmer?

You can set your filter to either 'filter' or 'waste' depending upon what you want to do and whether or not you want to refill the pool afterwards to replace the lost water. But I've never heard of anyone vacuuming during backwashing. I guess you could -- I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work. But you'd be introducing more gunk into your filter while attempting to backwash it out, which seems counterproductive.

But either way, the pump should remain running. I usually throw my vac and the entire hose in the pool, then hold the hose over a return for a few seconds to let that force all the air out of it. When it stops bubbling, shove it into the skimmer and vac away!

I could see a very dark floor right now in my pool. Never been vac since it was open. Is the waste setting the one that also bypasses the filter and directly throws the water out?

When you do your step. do you still have the setting to filter?

You can set your filter to either 'filter' or 'waste' depending upon what you want to do and whether or not you want to refill the pool afterwards to replace the lost water. But I've never heard of anyone vacuuming during backwashing. I guess you could -- I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work. But you'd be introducing more gunk into your filter while attempting to backwash it out, which seems counterproductive.

But either way, the pump should remain running. I usually throw my vac and the entire hose in the pool, then hold the hose over a return for a few seconds to let that force all the air out of it. When it stops bubbling, shove it into the skimmer and vac away!

Yes, 'waste' bypasses the filter and sends everything out the waste port. Obviously this is the best option to clear your pool, but the drawback is the loss of water that will need to be replaced afterwards.

I would advise vacuuming to waste at first, as much as you can live with regarding the water loss. Once the bulk of debris is gone off the bottom, switch to vacuuming in filter mode and keep an eye on the pressure gauge. Backwash if it rises 25% over what it reads when clean. You can always backwash more frequently if you wish - again, you just have to replace the water lost. I would personally backwash every day or two when cleaning up a swampy pool regardless of what the gauge reads.

Thanks for the response.

Every time I switch the filter valve. Do I have to turn off the pool motor first?

Yes, 'waste' bypasses the filter and sends everything out the waste port. Obviously this is the best option to clear your pool, but the drawback is the loss of water that will need to be replaced afterwards.

I would advise vacuuming to waste at first, as much as you can live with regarding the water loss. Once the bulk of debris is gone off the bottom, switch to vacuuming in filter mode and keep an eye on the pressure gauge. Backwash if it rises 25% over what it reads when clean. You can always backwash more frequently if you wish - again, you just have to replace the water lost. I would personally backwash every day or two when cleaning up a swampy pool regardless of what the gauge reads.

Yes, turn pump off before turning valve, and always turn valve same way (clockwise or counterclockwise).

On the filter area. I saw this small clear cylinder where I see the water. When backwashing, should I continue to do it until I see the water looks clear on the cylinder?

Then once it clears, shut down the motor and put to rinse for a few seconds. Shut the motor again before going back to filter?

I tried vacuuming in filter mode. It seems some brown dirt are just coming out of the return. Is that normal? Also, the water became cloudy again.

I tried vacuuming in filter mode. It seems some brown dirt are just coming out of the return. Is that normal? Also, the water became cloudy again.

no that's not normal. backwash your filter more thoroughly and don't forget to rinse after you back wash. 2-3 minutes a piece.

this is a good illustration how a sand filter works. rinsing is the same as filter except water goes to waste instead of back in the pool.

waterco-micron-eco-s602.jpg

I tried vacuuming again today and i still see brown stuff coming out of the jet. 2 days ago I backwash and rinse. Ensure that the water is clean in the filter glass. Should I vacuum to waste for now? It seems my filter is not holding the dirt when I vacuum to waste.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.