First time sand filter cleaning. Please help

squib

Apr 2, 2015
TX
Watched the video from a few years ago and read a few threads. But my filter appears to a little different from those in threads with the multiport valve mounted on top.

My valve is mounted off to the side similar to this: sand-filter.jpg

I have owned my house for 4 years and have no idea if the sand filter has ever been cleaned or the sand ever replaced. I do know that my pool seems to stay dirtier than I would expect. I can clean it very well and it is dirty the next day with fine sediment on the bottom (the water itself is clear). My numbers all look good on my water tests, so I am thinking that I just have an ineffective sand filter.

Here is my plan:
1. Shut everything down and turn the multiport to bypass/recirculate.
2. Spin the top off the filter.
3. Carefully remove the top three or four inches of sand. Discard.
4. Stick water hose down in remaining sand and carefully let it overflow the gunk out of the remaining sand.
5. Add new sand to get back to the proper volume of sand.
6. Re-insert waterhose and let it wash up through the new sand.
7. Replace top on filter.
8. Backwash for 10 minutes.

Does this sound ok? Where am I going wrong?

And can I use this sand from Quikcrete sand from HomeDepot or should I try to find some other?

Thanks so much in advance. CC

You don't need to remove the top layer of sand, just the gunk on top of the sand. You will want to insert the running water hose at multiple points inside the filter, being careful to avoid the laterals. Make sure the filter is full of water before putting the top back on.

Quickcrete should be fine if you need to top off the sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.