Buffalo, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi All - Had a Gunite pool built last summer and pool company did everything. I also have a hottub I inherited when I bought my home. I've put off learning about the chemistry side of things, until now.

From everything I've read it seems the TF-100 test kit should take of almost all the tests I need to do?

The hot tub right now is a bit cloudy and color is a little off. I've read about using Ahhsome to purge it and then refill with water and adjust chemicals as needed. Should I SLAM it before I do Ahhsome?

Separately, the hot tub sees almost no use during the summer months. I can put it on Sleep mode, which will keep the temp around 70F or so. Is this recommended or should I really drain it and turn it off until the fall?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

From everything I've read it seems the TF-100 test kit should take of almost all the tests I need to do?
It WILL. I highly reccomend the pro version. It has a really nice case and comes with a $45 stirring device.

You need the salt version of either kit or ypu can order a seperate k-1766 kit.
Should I SLAM it before I do Ahhsome?
No because you'll be dumping it. SLAM is for when you are keeping the water.
Is this recommended or should I really drain it and turn it off until the fall?
If it has water it needs to be maintained. One or two years I kept using mine when it was hot out, but the other years I drained it to not have to take care of it.

If it has water it needs to be maintained. One or two years I kept using mine when it was hot out, but the other years I drained it to not have to take care of it.
Thank you, Newdude! Did you do anything special when you drained it? Or just simply drain and power down? Re-opening is just fill / balance chemicals and power up?

I blew the pipes and also sucked them with a shop vac. You never get it all, but I figured the less that was in there festering, the better. Plan on purging when you fill it. I like to run a couple of purges with the same water, then dump, fill and balance.

Reactions: bbdude
I blew the pipes and also sucked them with a shop vac. You never get it all, but I figured the less that was in there festering, the better. Plan on purging when you fill it. I like to run a couple of purges with the same water, then dump, fill and balance.
Just want to confirm my understanding of your process. You purge, drain, vacuum. When winter returns you fill, purge, drain, fill, balance chemicals?

Draining doesn't need a purge. Just dump it and suck out/ blow the pipes the best you can.

When the time comes to startup again, fill, purge, drain/rinse, fill balance. (y)

Draining doesn't need a purge. Just dump it and suck out/ blow the pipes the best you can.

When the time comes to startup again, fill, purge, drain/rinse, fill balance. (y)
Very helpful. Thank you. Think I'm going to try this and leave the hot tub closed this summer. Will also save me some $ not having to heat / maintain it all summer.

Reactions: Newdude
It WILL. I highly reccomend the pro version. It has a really nice case and comes with a $45 stirring device.

You need the salt version of either kit or ypu can order a seperate k-1766 kit.
Looking at buying the pro ... I do like the kit, much nicer than the basic package. Any use buying some of the add-ons like Borates / Salt test?

The XL really comes in handy for people learning or with swamps.

The people that like toys may or may not like the PH meter.

The same goes for the sample sizer. It's neat to just dunk it and spill the excess water out, but it's also easy enough to just fill the dang vial to 10 ml.

Test strips of any kind, are test strips and ok for a spot check but not to be believed much. So I'd skip these.

Reactions: bbdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.