Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hey everyone,

We just purchased a home with a salt water inground pool a week ago. This is our first time owning a pool and were directed to this forum for any help we would need. We just did our first chemical test without the assistance of the previous owner using a TF-100 kit, as recommended by this site, and had these results:

FC - 9
CC - 1
TA - 60
CYA - 30
PH - 7.5

It appears that our CYA is too low, but our free chlorine is too high. Everything else seems ok, but wanted to get a more experienced owner's opinion before doing anything to the pool. Any tips are appreciated!

Thanks for the response! The pool has not been covered and it hasn't been particularly cloudy either. The water looks crystal clear, so there aren't any obvious issues when looking at the pool.

Okay then, you have a couple choices:
1 - Increase the CYA to about 60-70 now to help the SWG work more efficiently. Hope the elevated CC level falls on its own to 0.5 or lower.
2 - Hold on adding CYA and do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test just to make sure you don't have excessive organics in the water. This way if you do fail the OCLT, which would require doing a SLAM Process, you can do so at a lower FC (SLAM ) level (12 versus 24 or 28) as noted on the FC/CYA Levels (SLAM tab).

It's very possible the elevated CC is just a temporary thing and that the sun's UV hasn't had time to process/oxidize those CCs. But I figured you should know your options. Maybe give it another day and check the CC again to see. But I would keep the FC in that 8- range until you decide. Feel free to use liquid chlorine if you want to increase the FC if needed.

Thanks so much for all of your responses. We decided to just retest today and our FC was 8.5 and the CC was 0 (water didn't change colors at all using the TF-100). It seems like yesterday was just temporary or we're still just getting used to the test. If the CC is truly just 0, what do you recommend doing about the FC and CYA? It sounds like we need to raise the CYA to closer to 60 regardless, but our FC is still high. Do I just need to lower the setting on the SWG? Lastly, It's been pretty warm and dry here so were probably 1-2 inches low on water, so I assume I need to add water before doing anything else first, right?

Thanks so much for your help!

Add CYA, use PoolMath to calculate how much to add. This will help protect your FC from the sun. Can you fill in your signature with your pool and equipment specs so we can help you better. What is your SWG setting and pump run time?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.