First time pool owner

I'm not sure why you are getting the differences, but some of the more common causes of differentials are; the water sample is not drawn from the same place and depth in the pool, the drops are not the same size, inconsistent swirling, not enough powder, not giving the proper amount of time for the chlorine to distribute since the last addition.

I suggest to not add any chlorine today and retest tonight and tomorrow morning. Make sure everyone is done swimming at least an hour before you take the sample tonight so the chlorine isn't working on anything extra from the family during the test. Use a 10ml sample and test only one time, trust your testing.

Thank you for the reply. I already added chlorine this morning after I took the test to bring it up to shock again. I won't put anything in it anymore and do what you say and do that test tonight and tomorrow and see what it says. Meanwhile,can I turn off the pump for the day and turn it on again tonight?

Most above ground pools don't have the best circulation to begin with and you want to make sure the water has circulated enough. Give the pool a good brushing this morning and an hour before you test tonight. If you do turn off the pump today that should be fine, but I would start it again around 5:00.

These are the results this morning. Last nights reading was 5 for FC and .5 for CC. This morning FC was 4 and CC is .5 :cheers:
Now I'm going to bring it up to high end of my normal level and maintain it there. What say you to this plan? Now, my TA at last check was high at 160. I've been told here to lower my pH and that would lower my TA eventually. My pH is at 7.6 now. Should I lower that to 7.2 and keep it there?
Thank you again :)

Your FC plan sounds good.

You have a couple of options on the TA plan. One is to lower the pH to 7.2 and let it rise on its own to 7.6 or so, then lower it again to 7.2. Over time the TA should drop to an acceptable level and you don't have to actively work to lower it. If your fill water has high TA, then this might not work very good. The other way is to lower the pH to 7.2 and aerate the water so the pH rises faster and when it gets to 7.6 or so add some more acid to bring it down to 7.2 again. This is the same idea as the first, but you are adding aeration so the pH climbs faster thus reducing the TA faster.

The kids playing in it good enough for aeration? They've been in it almost everyday now. With the jumping around and playing, that should do it, right? I'll bring it down to 7.2 and go from there.
Thank you so much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.