First time pool owner with SWG

melonhead1382

Bronze Supporter
Jul 29, 2020
Lincoln, CA
I'm a first time pool owner and my pool is almost finished getting built. They are installing equipment on Monday. I'm going with a SWG. It's my understanding I can't use salt for the first 30 days? Is that correct? I'm about to order the TF100 start up kit and wasn't sure if there was anything else I need to order because of the SWG?

Correct - 30 days. During that period you'll treat the pool with liquid chlorine as a non-salt pool to balance the CYA and FC as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Along with the TF-100, you might order the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit. Then you'll be set. Congrats!

Also, take good notes of what the builder adds to the water when they come to treat it.

Correct - 30 days. During that period you'll treat the pool with liquid chlorine as a non-salt pool to balance the CYA and FC as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Along with the TF-100, you might order the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit. Then you'll be set. Congrats!

Also, take good notes of what the builder adds to the water when they come to treat it.

Thanks! I'll order both. Yeah the builder said they provide pool maintenance for the first 30 days. My wife and I both work from home now so one of us should be home when they treat the pool. So should I just let them maintain for those first 30 days and test the levels myself? Then after the 30 days we'll be ready to start using the SWG and maintain it ourselves?

So should I just let them maintain for those first 30 days and test the levels myself?
For warranty purposes you may have to let them do things for a certain amount of time, then they'll turn it over to you. Don't be surprised if their techniques vary from TFP. Installers often don't have the most ideal chemical processes.

Also order a speed stirrer. It makes the testing easier and more consistent!

I imagine part of what they will be doing is the start up process that will help the plaster cure. And I'm sure its part of the warranty. Just let them do there thing, Don't be afraid to ask questions, and compare it the the start up procedures they have listed on the site. And realize when you take over with regular maintenance the protocol will be different, especially as you bring the SWG on line. Will they be doing that too?

fiesta recently just went through all this
might be worth having a read of his post
lots of good questions and answers

Also order a speed stirrer. It makes the testing easier and more consistent!

I imagine part of what they will be doing is the start up process that will help the plaster cure. And I'm sure its part of the warranty. Just let them do there thing, Don't be afraid to ask questions, and compare it the the start up procedures they have listed on the site. And realize when you take over with regular maintenance the protocol will be different, especially as you bring the SWG on line. Will they be doing that too?
That is a good question but I'm definitely going to ask. They tried to stir me away from getting the SWG like most pool builders I've read on here.

fiesta recently just went through all this
might be worth having a read of his post
lots of good questions and answers
Thanks! I'll definitely read through the posts in that thread.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey.. Melon'.. your are just up the street from me.. if you can call 65 a street these days!... fill in your sig so we know what you are getting!
Will do. Are you in Rocklin or Roseville? My back yard backs up to open land that is right next to old 65 right after the last stoplight in Lincoln. I have a build thread going. Check it out and see the pics.

Will do. Are you in Rocklin or Roseville? My back yard backs up to open land that is right next to old 65 right after the last stoplight in Lincoln. I have a build thread going. Check it out and see the pics.

Nice build.. Actually I am one more town over from that.. Orangevale.. hence the OV in my sig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.