Stoney Creek, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Salt & Swim 3C
Hello I’m a new pool owner & also new to the forum, hopefully can get some help! We recently just moved into our first home with an in ground pool and I’m having issues with the vacuum. All the pool equipment was left by the previous home owner, and the first time I vacuumed while opening the pool there weren’t any issues. Now every time I go to clean the pool the vacuum hose will collapse (kink) just above the hole inside the skimmer. I’ve tried vacuuming on waste & regular filter but the hose will collapse every time. I tried backwashing first but that didn’t help either. Does anyone know why the hose would collapse? Is the hose just poor quality and I should buy a new one? I’m just diving into the pool life so really not sure how everything works yet. I have a Hayward pump & sand filter I believe. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all!

*Update Sunday morning*
I was able to switch the hose ends around on the vacuum head (was just on there extra tight). I tried to vacuum again this morning & success it worked! It also rained last night and dropped the temp of the pool to 26°C, when it usually sits around 30°C. Not sure if switching the hose worked or the cooler water temperature?

Last edited:
Poor quality hose is a good bet. When you make the connection in the skimmer, are you bringing the hose over the coping back into the pool or did you put it through the face of skimmer then to the connection?
Maybe flip flop the ends of the hose (if that is feasible) to see if the same event occurs in that configuration.

Poor quality hose is a good bet. When you make the connection in the skimmer, are you bringing the hose over the coping back into the pool or did you put it through the face of skimmer then to the connection?
Maybe flip flop the ends of the hose (if that is feasible) to see if the same event occurs in that configuration.
Hi Herman
I’ve tried both bringing the hose out of the pool & down into the skimmer, & through the skimmer face, hose collapses both ways. I looked at trying to switch the hose ends, but the vacuum head doesn’t appear to come off of the hose? At least I can’t figure out how it comes apart.

but the vacuum head doesn’t appear to come off of the hose
Well if you purchase a new hose, which seems to be the likely scenario then you will need to cut the hose off of the vacuum head.
Just one other idea. Do you have a neighbor that has a manual vacuum hose? You may want to try their hose on your skimmer to determine if that event occurs again or it will confirm you just need a new hose.

Reactions: Jer34
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.