First Time Pool Build - Design Input & Advice Greatly Appreciated!

AquaCami

Jun 10, 2021
Missouri City, TX
Hello all,

Great to find so many pool lovers all under one roof! My husband and I are in the process of designing a pool. We have interviewed 4 PB's and are waiting on final quotes. We have a good idea of what we want, but definitely could use some help on some things!

We are looking for a pool with about 108' perimeter, spa, about 500 sq ft of travertine decking, simple water features. We are getting quotes from 90K to 105K . Is this crazy for a pool/spa in Missouri City (Houston suburb)? Do you see pool prices going down anytime soon?

I've read a lot of TFP forums about depths, and we are thinking 4' shallow end, 8' deep end. I loved diving in my parents pool as a child, and I feel like it's a must have in our pool. Does anyone regret having 4' shallow end instead of 3'6"? Is 9.5 ft x 18 ft at 4' enough of a flat shallow end before the pool starts to slope to its eventual 8'?

I've been in a PebbleTec pool, and have no problem with the roughness on my feet, but I have not been in a spa or pool with PebbleTec benches (the pool I was in had flagstone benches). Does anyone think PebbleTec is too rough for the benches? Is it customary to polish the benches, or is that an up-charge?

For the color, we were leaning towards PebbleTec Midnight Blue. Anyone with this color- do you like it? Would you choose it again? We know we do not want any hint of green, and would like a rich blue color. We like dark, but will be doing a Silver Traverine decking, so are not sure how dark we really need to go to get a nice contrast. What about WetEdge Midnight? Do the darker PT colors make the pool get hotter?

A huge element of the design is all the arcs, and we've noticed on most of the PB's websites appear to just use travertine coping pavers to create the arc (renderings look fine, but I'm talking about the actual pool photos). It creates a rough look, and we want a smooth perfectly round arc. When we ask about this, they say MAYBE it can be cut, but act like they have no idea and no one has asked them that before. Does anyone have experience with getting their coping truly rounded? We also found some pre-cut radius coping online (like they sometimes use on a spa), but again, the PB's acted like this would add significant expense, and it's not a common thing that they do.

I've also noticed that just about everyone on TFP recommends SWG. All 4 PB's tried to talk us out of it. Are there any TFPers in the Houston area that got a SWG and regret it?

I've attached some photos of our design. It hasn't been finalized yet, but close enough for the sake of these questions.

Thanks in advance if anyone takes the time to answer any of my questions! Even if you just have input about 1 thing, it's greatly appreciated! I hope to be able to help people once I'm on the other side of this! :)

Pool Design.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.
The price range seems reasonable but make sure to understand what equipment, automation, pumps, filter, heater, ect. that includes. Darker pools will get hotter faster, but a deeper pool stays colored. Four foot swallow end is perfect, in my view, but I’m 6’2”. Curves should not be an issue for a skilled builder. I love your design. Also SWG is not an issue.

We are in the paperwork phase of planning- it’s taken almost 3 months just to chose a builder, design and we are finally signing a contract tomorrow! It’s been very slow as builders are swamped. I’m thankful things are at least moving. I can tell you the couple quotes we did get were in the $90-$104k range here- we are looking to build in the 18x36 size range, gunite, pebble finish, spa, tanning ledge. I’m in Georgia.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.