First time opening

This is my first year opening my pool. I just got the water circulating and I plan to start SLAMing soon, but I’m concerned that the sight valve on my filter seems to be empty and my pressure gauge is reading zero.... I don’t think this is a good thing and I’m curious for input. Should I continue with the SLAM or could something have gone wrong when I primed the pump?

Your pump basket should be full of water which indicates full prime. Is that the case? Also, make sure your water level is correct, at least halfway up the skimmer mouth opening and that any winterizing plug (i.e. Gizmo, rubber plugs, etc) were removed.

Might keep an eye on that pressure gauge then. Little love tap or two and see if it does anything. :whip: With water flowing through the filter and returns, there should be "some" indication of back-pressure, so zero may mean the gauge quit on you. If so, you can get a nice quality glycerin gauge from TFTeskit.net like THESE.

My sight glass only has water in it when I am backwashing. When it’s on normal filter mode, it’s empty. As far as your pressure gauge, I’d replace it. If it has been left out in the elements during the off season, it is probably broken. Good luck!

Yeah, the pressure gauge seems to be busted — it’s still at zero. I had it replaced last year when I bought this home. Is it as simple as unscrewing the one and screwing in another? Or are there other things that could contribute to it being at zero? Could a bad winter have busted the gauge? I live in GA so I’m wondering if the pool guy overcharged me for a cheap one thinking we wouldn’t have to worry about it freezing, but we had a few freezes this winter.

Yeah, the pressure gauge seems to be busted — it’s still at zero. I had it replaced last year when I bought this home. Is it as simple as unscrewing the one and screwing in another? Or are there other things that could contribute to it being at zero? Could a bad winter have busted the gauge? I live in GA so I’m wondering if the pool guy overcharged me for a cheap one thinking we wouldn’t have to worry about it freezing, but we had a few freezes this winter.

Freezing temps can definitely bust it. I take mine out every closing and store it with my other removed parts. A little Teflon tape and back in it goes at open. Yes, just screw it out and screw it back in! I bought my replacement one at Lowes in the pool section when we moved in when I found the one that had been left in all winter was broken.

When I bought mt house, it had an old sand filter with a broken gauge. I've since resurfaced the pool and replaced all of my pool equipment, replacing the sand filter with a Quad DE cartridge filter. At closing, I bring the pumps, chlorinator and entire filter assembly into the garage to avoid any damage over the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.