First time opening pool

Astevens21

Jul 16, 2019
Salem, NH
This is my first time opening the pool without using the nearby pool store. I tested the water and have a general idea of what to add using pool math but I’m unsure of the order and timing of when to add.

TA- 50
pH- over 8.0 (using k-2006 and it only goes to 8.0, 2 drops acid test got me to 8.0)
CYA- 35

How does your water look? Crystal clear, or is it hazy with some residual algae? If there is any algae you'll want to prepare for the SLAM Process. If there is no algae, just balance normally.

Either way, add some muriatic acid to lower the pH. If you need to SLAM, lower to 7.2. If not, lower to the mid 7s for now. You might go in stages as to not go too low. Add a bit of acid, let it mix for about 20-30 minutes and re-test. In between those pH tests, make sure the TA doesn't dip any lower than 50. It might try. If it does, just add some baking soda to get it back to about 50-70.

Also watch your FC level. It's not posted, but if you are going to SLAM, increase it to "16" (SLAM level) and keep it there until you pass all 3 criteria. If there is no need to SLAM, increase the FC to about 5 ppm for now, then keep it balanced as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Remember to never add chlorine and acid to the same spot at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.