First time doing tests

jblizzle said:
stoney65 said:
I've read that the best time to put chlorine in a pool is no earlier than 2 hrs before sunset. I'm now using the bbb system advocated in this forum. I'm currently using 8.25% bleach from Walmart-- 2.98/ gal. I used to use stabilized trichlor pucks and stabilized shock, but my CYA went astronomical over the years-- now, I have to partially drain and refill my pool to get it lower.

No time is really that much better although adding in the evenings allows the FC to work on any organics overnight without loss to the sun.

If you are shopping at Walmart, they sell 2 gallons of HTH 10% liquid chlorine that is actually cheaper than the 8.25% bleach.

The bleach is $0.30/ppm of FC [$2.98/(121*.0825)]
The HTH is $0.25/ppm of FC [$6.47/(256*.10)]

Thanks Yeah it's right here for 6.47 like you said

jblizzle said:
stoney65 said:
I've read that the best time to put chlorine in a pool is no earlier than 2 hrs before sunset. I'm now using the bbb system advocated in this forum. I'm currently using 8.25% bleach from Walmart-- 2.98/ gal. I used to use stabilized trichlor pucks and stabilized shock, but my CYA went astronomical over the years-- now, I have to partially drain and refill my pool to get it lower.

No time is really that much better although adding in the evenings allows the FC to work on any organics overnight without loss to the sun.

If you are shopping at Walmart, they sell 2 gallons of HTH 10% liquid chlorine that is actually cheaper than the 8.25% bleach.

The bleach is $0.30/ppm of FC [$2.98/(121*.0825)]
The HTH is $0.25/ppm of FC [$6.47/(256*.10)]
Yes, that's what I read, but I'll have to look for the 10% . Just bought 6 gal s of the 8.25 this afternoon. Thanks for the tip. Oh and Walmart has 20 mule team borax for 3.38/ 4lb Box.

Head to the laundry section ... I struggled finding it the other day as well.
I did not need it, but was just curious how much and what sizes they sold ... for research purposes :)

stoney65 said:
79TAKid said:
I'm in the laundry section haha don't see anything borax or 20 mule team anything
Ask someone for help

Thanks for the help last night, I guess it was getting a little silly that I was asking people across the country on the internet where things were in Walmart :lol: I ended up driving to a different walmart and found the Borax, but they were out of stabilizer too. I'll have to look around again today after work

79TAKid said:
stoney65 said:
79TAKid said:
I'm in the laundry section haha don't see anything borax or 20 mule team anything
Ask someone for help

Thanks for the help last night, I guess it was getting a little silly that I was asking people across the country on the internet where things were in Walmart :lol: I ended up driving to a different walmart and found the Borax, but they were out of stabilizer too. I'll have to look around again today after work
Good luck. Hope they have the 10% at mine. Looks like I might need some cya too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.