First time closing- chem levels-leaving open with no cover- Gunite- SW Pool- SW TN

May 11, 2016
Cville, tn
Good Morning TFP!

After a beautiful summer in our new to us pool (thanks to everyone here) alas it is now too cold to swim in my opinion :cool:

As evidenced below, we have a gunite pool and I don't plan to cover it for winter. Im doing daily cleanup for leaves and debris ( and would continue to do so). After searching around here, I understand the general premise of freeze protection.

I don't have a slide but do have an elevated water fall. I'm thinking draining my pump basket and allowing the water to seek lower levels will be adequate there. Is this a safe assumption? Or should I keep it full and run it as needed? I could then put a piece of domed plastic over it to take advantage of solar warmth during the days.

Im seeing some say they are draining below the skimmers. Is that something that is mandatory or highly preferred? If one implements freeze protection and keeps water flowing, is it ok to leave water in the skimmers? Again I understand that poses an elevated freeze risk. Just looking for more reassurance of what the right answer may be. I also understand every situation is unique in different ways.

Lastly, chemical levels. Pool temp is currently 66. How should I adjust chem levels headed into colder water? Or should I just make sure they are at ideal summer levels???

Is it possible to run your pump with the water below the skimmers? I know that some folks have valves that would allow such a thing.

The folks that drain below the skimmers are 'closing' They don't intend to run the pump to keep from freezing. They install freeze protection devices into the various areas like skimmer baskets and pump baskets, so that as the water starts to fill back up any freezing that happens, doesn't damage the equipment.

My personal thought about your plan is this. If the water is not moving, then it has the possibility of freezing. So, as long as the places where you plan to drain, are completely free of water you should be okay. If not, then I would say leave them wet and run the pump when the temp gets near freezing.

As far as chems, just test as usual and adjust as needed. What you should notice is the need for chlorine should drop. Also, I note that you have a SWG. It should stop generating chlorine as the temp drops below it's set point. Some folks turn them off at that point and use bleach as needed.

As far as chems, just test as usual and adjust as needed. What you should notice is the need for chlorine should drop. Also, I note that you have a SWG. It should stop generating chlorine as the temp drops below it's set point. Some folks turn them off at that point and use bleach as needed.

Good to know about the chemicals. Thank you! Ill do some more thinking about the water level. I do have control over the water source whether bottom drain or skimmers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.