First TF-100 Test Results

Apr 6, 2017
Tempe
I'm a first time pool owner and just got my TF-100 in the mail. Here are the initial results. Any tips on what to do next?

We have an oddly shaped pool but my estimate is 25,000-30,000 gallons. Pebbletec, with a cartridge filter, and a 1 HP single speed pump.

PH7.8
FC3
CC1
TC4
CH275
TA230
CYA50

Welcome to TFP Tannybrown!! :wave:

First off, congrats, and great job getting a kit right away. :goodjob:

FC is a little low, and the TA a bit high, but lets leave that for last. The pH is ok, but on the high end, and it will likely rise fairly quickly. So, your FC target should be a little higher at Cya 50. Have you read about why that is?

Your CC shows 1.0, so it may be something. How does your water look?

Thanks for the quick reply!

The pool water looks good, for what it's worth.

I haven't read about why the FC target should be higher...still working through Pool School. (Maybe because the CYA protects the chlorine levels?)

Also, I have a bucket of Chlor-brite and 3" chlorine pucks from Leslies. Can easily stop or keep using those as recommended. I think the dichlor might lower the PH a bit per the PoolMath site?

Also, I have a bucket of Chlor-brite and 3" chlorine pucks from Leslies. Can easily stop or keep using those as recommended. I think the dichlor might lower the PH a bit per the PoolMath site?

Yeah but those pucks will also raise your CYA..... is that something you seek to raise? Use liquid chlorine, aka bleach, instead if you don't.

How do you want to sanitize your water? Have you considered a SWG or stenner pump?

Yippee :flower:

Re: CYA levels, I'm very new at all this -- was hoping someone could tell me whether 50 was too high or too low for AZ.

Haven't considered an SWG yet. We just bought the home so probably will try to just add chlorine manually for now.

For the East Coast of the US, 50 would be too high. For the Southwest of the US, 50 may not be high enough! Its a matter of how much sun your pool gets and if your pool uses a salt water chlorine generator (SWG) or not.

So starting with 50ppm of CYA you want your FC to be kept between 6-8ppm, never going below 4ppm. See here: [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
A normal day the pool will lose 1-3ppm just as a sacrifice to the sun gods. So if you find your FC is going lower than expected you *may* want to raise your CYA to 60ppm to slow that roll down. I'd leave it alone for now and see how it does for you. Then after a week or two decide if you need to take the CYA up.

Since your ideal level is 6-8ppm, I'd actually try to dose my chlorine to 9ppm so that my daily loss of chlorine is well covered and I never get too close to that 4ppm bottom line level. Just to play it safe.

Yippee :flower:

Thanks for the quick reply!

The pool water looks good, for what it's worth.

I haven't read about why the FC target should be higher...still working through Pool School. (Maybe because the CYA protects the chlorine levels?)

Sounds like you've been doing some reading, and knowledge is really the key. There is a known ratio between FC and Cya to keep the pool clean and clear. At a given Cya level, you need a certain amount of Free Chlorine and the greater the Cya, the more you need. So at 50 Cya, you should target 6-8 PPM when you Chlorinate, and make 4 the bare minimum.

Keep your pucks and you can always use them later. They will lower pH, but with irregular use, its no worry. Starting at Cya 50 is perfect. You may find more to be helpful, but you can always adjust it up if you need too. Sounds like you're catching on well, so just keep reading around the forum and pool school. Ask all the questions you want, and we'll be here to help. Oh, and good move on manual Chlorine for now. Learning your pool and dealing with everything on your plate will be plenty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.