Agoura Hills, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Ok, I'm fairly confident I did this correctly but the numbers are scary! Pool water is clear and we have been swimming all summer. I have a pool guy, but I know he only tests Chlorine and pH weekly.

Here goes:
CYA 110
Free chlorine 38 drops x .5 = 19
Ph 8.2 (possibly higher)
CC .5 (1 drop)
Calcium 39 drops x 25 = 975
Alkalinity 22 drops x 10 = 220
Salinity 14 drops x 200 = 2800

I am on the verge of installing a SWG, so I want to make sure everything is in order before I do that. Where do I start?! He is still my pool guy, so I'd like to have an educated discussion with him to correct what appears to be very out of whack. And thank you!

You’re going to need to remove a large portion (75%, possible more) of water to control the CH and CYA levels.

Did you do a dilution test for CYA? Take pool water and cut by half with tap water, retest, then double the result. Your CYA may be higher than you think. The CH and CYA levels will help determine how much water needs to be removed.

Once you have the water sorted and the SWCG installed (we need to fix this water first); there’ll be no need for the pool company that got you into this mess.

pH is inaccurate at FC of 10+. I’m guessing the pool service had just visited and dumped a boatload of Cal-Hypo in the pool. Takes your FC sky high temporarily while compounding your CH problem, each and every week.

You’re going to need to remove a large portion (75%, possible more) of water to control the CH and CYA levels.

Did you do a dilution test for CYA? Take pool water and cut by half with tap water, retest, then double the result. Your CYA may be higher than you think. The CH and CYA levels will help determine how much water needs to be removed.

Once you have the water sorted and the SWCG installed (we need to fix this water first); there’ll be no need for the pool company that got you into this mess.

pH is inaccurate at FC of 10+. I’m guessing the pool service had just visited and dumped a boatload of Cal-Hypo in the pool. Takes your FC sky high temporarily while compounding your CH problem, each and every week.
If it’s any consolation to the pool guy, he took over in May after we purchased the home. So maybe not entirely his fault.

He did come Wednesday so maybe artificially high at the moment?

What is best way to drain pool? I’ll try the dilution test also.

Least risk is the no drain exchange.

The FC isn’t “artificially” high, it is high. That’s by design since the pool service only comes by weekly, but pools need daily FC without a SWCG. The problem with the weekly shock method is that you rely on tabs to try to hold on until the following weeks’ service (tabs add CYA) and cal-hypo (which adds CH) to boost FC to knock back the algae/bacteria/viruses because the sanitation strength is insufficient due to the time between visits.

It’s a bad catch 22, but it’s sadly how many people “care” for their pools. The bedrock principle of the TFP method is proper FC levels based on CYA levels. If you never fall below minimum FC (better to never fall below target), then you’re guaranteed safe, sanitizer water all the time.

Least risk is the no drain exchange.

The FC isn’t “artificially” high, it is high. That’s by design since the pool service only comes by weekly, but pools need daily FC without a SWCG. The problem with the weekly shock method is that you rely on tabs to try to hold on until the following weeks’ service (tabs add CYA) and cal-hypo (which adds CH) to boost FC to knock back the algae/bacteria/viruses because the sanitation strength is insufficient due to the time between visits.

It’s a bad catch 22, but it’s sadly how many people “care” for their pools. The bedrock principle of the TFP method is proper FC levels based on CYA levels. If you never fall below minimum FC (better to never fall below target), then you’re guaranteed safe, sanitizer water all the time.

So how do I know how much to drain? 50% or 75%? Any rules of thumb?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.