First Test Results

May 4, 2012
14
#1
Hello Everyone,

My new test kit arrived today and my results are below. It's been raining alot here in central Florida and I haven't bnrushed or vacuumed today. My water is cloudy and has been for ten days. Before that it was a nasty green with lots of bugs and debris. I brush and vacuum every day and the filter runs 24-7. the cloudiness has me bothered. I have added no chemicals today. I plan to brush vacuum and clean the filter later today. Whadda ya think?

FC 4.5
CC 0
Ph 7.5
TA 70
CH 140
CYA 40
 

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
31,273
Sebring, Florida
#2
Your test results are spot on the money but the cloudiness needs to go so that pool can sparkle.

Can you give me an idea of how much chlorine you have been consuming the last few days?
 

frogabog

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
1,578
Portland, Oregon
#3
Have you been shocking the pool? You can have 0ppm CC and still need to continue shocking if the water isn't clear. It's one of the three criteria for the shocking process.

Have you read pool school? (upper right of this, and every page on the forum). Pay particular attention to the "ABC's of Water Chemistry" and "How to shock your pool", read these articles a few times, and then read them again. It's kinda confusing at first.

I'd suggest bringing your pool to shock level (use pool calculator - see my sig) for your CYA level of 40ppm which is just perfect, and use your kit hourly at first to maintain that shock level. Post back here with your hourly results if you like so we can see what's happening.

The cloudiness is the hardest part to get past, especially when the other tests are saying everything is good to go, but it's really quite important to keep shocking till it clears up. With a cartridge filter, it should clear nicely (sand filter takes longer) once you are sure you're at or above shock level near constantly.

Duraleigh's way smarter than I am btw... :wink:
 

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
37,879
Silver Spring, MD
#4
Unrelated, but your CH is too low for a plaster pool, it should be between 250 and 350. That doesn't have anything to do with the cloudiness however.
 
May 4, 2012
14
#5
Thanks so much for the replies.
duraleigh said:
Your test results are spot on the money but the cloudiness needs to go so that pool can sparkle.

Can you give me an idea of how much chlorine you have been consuming the last few days?
At first i added several gallons of 6% daily. The last few days i added about a gallon a day of 10%. I checked the water with a test kit that i found at the house. I checked the chlorine several times a day. I added none today and the chlorine seems fairly stable.

frogabog said:
Have you been shocking the pool? You can have 0ppm CC and still need to continue shocking if the water isn't clear. It's one of the three criteria for the shocking process.

Have you read pool school? (upper right of this, and every page on the forum). Pay particular attention to the "ABC's of Water Chemistry" and "How to shock your pool", read these articles a few times, and then read them again. It's kinda confusing at first.

I'd suggest bringing your pool to shock level (use pool calculator - see my sig) for your CYA level of 40ppm which is just perfect, and use your kit hourly at first to maintain that shock level. Post back here with your hourly results if you like so we can see what's happening.

The cloudiness is the hardest part to get past, especially when the other tests are saying everything is good to go, but it's really quite important to keep shocking till it clears up. With a cartridge filter, it should clear nicely (sand filter takes longer) once you are sure you're at or above shock level near constantly.

Duraleigh's way smarter than I am btw... :wink:
I think I have been at shock level, but i am somewhat simple and even with the pool calculator i can't seem to figure what shock level should be (ppm). I just finished brushing and vacuuming and cleaning the filter. I added stabilizer about a week ago, per TFP recommendations. The pool is less cloudy today. I added a small bottle of clarifier yesterday and maybe that's why i have less cloudiness today. I will test again and post results asap (looks like another thunder storm is on the way, though).
 
May 4, 2012
14
#6
JasonLion said:
Unrelated, but your CH is too low for a plaster pool, it should be between 250 and 350. That doesn't have anything to do with the cloudiness however.
Should I buy some calcium Chloride at the pool store?
 

aa62579

Well-known member
May 24, 2011
409
North Central Texas
#7
russ.stevenson said:
I think I have been at shock level, but i am somewhat simple and even with the pool calculator i can't seem to figure what shock level should be (ppm). I just finished brushing and vacuuming and cleaning the filter. I added stabilizer about a week ago, per TFP recommendations. The pool is less cloudy today. I added a small bottle of clarifier yesterday and maybe that's why i have less cloudiness today. I will test again and post results asap (looks like another thunder storm is on the way, though).
You can either find that number on the pool calculator or on the CYA/Chlorine chart.

With the pool calculator, you plug in all your numbers and change the bottom box (yellow) to use suggested goal levels from troublefreepool.com. In the blue box above it, you will see a set of numbers. This gives you your normal range, shock value, and mustard shock value. These change based on your CYA level, so you need to have it entered in first.

You can also use the cya/chlorine chart fround here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock.

Both of these links can be founda at any time by clicking on the POOL SCHOOL button (upper right) and then under the Pool Chemistry Heading.

The numbers differ just slightly but either should work, the higher number just might work a bit faster.
 
May 4, 2012
14
#8
Hello Again,

Severe rain added about an inch of water to my pool since last I posted. About an hour ago (in the rain) I added about a gallon of 10.5% chlorine (trying to get to shock level) and another 4 oz bottle of "Tropi-Clear" clarifier. Results are below.

(The ten day forecast is calling for ten days of rain.)

FC 13
CC 0
TA 80
CH 120
CYA 30
PH 7.6