First Test Results of the Year

Feb 15, 2013
Peoria, Illinois
Filled pool Saturday/Sunday. Vacuumed yesterday afternoon. Pump has been running ever since. I can see the bottom, but water is not crystal clear.
  1. Do I need to raise the PH or am I good? If so, what is good to use?
  2. TA has always been high...I don't think I've ever been able to get it under 200.
  3. Re. CYA test...black dot was clear with tube filled to the top...so probably very low. What is a good target? 40-50?
  4. Should I start adding Chlorine or wait to get CYA up?
  5. Is a SLAM necessary?

FC 0
CC 0
PH 7.2
TA 220
CYA 0?

First order of business is get some chlorine and stabilizer in there ASAP. Get a sock soaking with stabilizer with a desired CYA goal of 40. Increase the FC to 3 ppm right away for today, then tomorrow balance it to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. The pH will climb fast enough on its own due to the elevated TA, but we can come back to that TA later. Easy stuff. Focus on the FC for now to try and avoid an algae bloom. If the water doesn't clear in a day or two let us know.

I have the CYA up to 45ish...may have put a bit too much in the sock. For good measure, I raised the FC to shock level (18ppm)...and it held steady overnight. CC is .5. Water looks pretty good...but I'll continue to keep an eye on things. PH is up to 7.5.

So...about the elevated TA...since I moved to the TFP method a few years ago, it's always been high...over 200 but I've never put much effort into lowering it. How important is it to get to an ideal range? How do I do it?

Thanks

Okay so for future planning, consider your CYA 50 and balance the FC accordingly. It's good you increased the FC anyways to be safe. :goodjob: For the TA, do the following as your schedule permits. Let the pH rise to 8.0 then lower it with muriatic aced to 7.0. Then aerate to increase the pH while leaving the TA slightly lower. That wide swing should lower the TA each time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.