First SLAM - CC test and Pebbletech algae questions

Thilding

Jul 14, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I have a Pentair Intellichem system with a SWG. Like other Intellichem pool owners, we keep our CYA level at around 30. I used this CYA value to determine my FC SLAM value should be 12ppm.

The SLAM seems to be going well - the water is clear and algae that was on the tile ringing the top of my pool was easy to brush off and is gone. My daily FC loss is also decreasing.

Here are my two questions:

1) When I conduct the CC test I find that I have to wait several minutes (around 3) after adding my DPD reagent (R-0003 in my Taylor test kit) for the solution to turn pink. Once it does, I have to slowly add my FAS-DPD reagent (R-0871) one drop at a time because after each drop the solution usually clears but within 3-5 minutes it turns pink again. I usually stop after it seems like my CC level is 2+ ppm. Should I have to wait so long between drops for the CC test? Is this normal?

2) Although I was able to brush away the algae on my tile, I cannot seem to brush away the algae in my pebbletech (see picture - dark triangle is not a shadow). Should I expect to be able to brush dead algae off the pebbletech if my SLAM is successful? Or, is it possible that I may have to powerwash or otherwise treat the pebbletech? Is it safe to swim in the pool with these algae stains if I pass all of my SLAM tests?

Thank you! Theresa

Attachments

• pool algae pebbletech.JPG
    pool algae pebbletech.JPG
    462.6 KB · Views: 26
The CC portion of the test should be done immediately after the FC. Waiting to perform it allows the natural chemical reactions to turn the water back pink, which will happen if you just do the FC test and then sit it aside. If you do it immediately after the FC portion of the test and it does not turn pink from the 003, you do NOT have CCs!

Any chance that what you're seeing in the corner isn't algae but instead a stain? Perhaps a copper stain? Have you used any copper containing algaecides or products?

Most folks with SWG, esp in your climate, keep their CYA much higher than 30ppm. We actually recommend at least 80ppm. Helps preserve the FC against your hot sun and in mindfulness of how a SWG works.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks, Maddie. Yes, I do perform the CC test immediately after the FC test. The solution does not immediately turn pink after adding the 5 drops of R-0003; it takes several minutes.

Regarding the CYA level, we had a Pentair engineer set up all of the equipment at our house. For our system, he told us to keep the CYA level at 30ppm or less. See the Intellichem front panel picture attached which shows this recommended CYA level.

Our pool has been clear requiring minimal maintenance with no algae problems since we built it several years ago. Unfortunately, we have been very busy the last month and we slipped on our pool maintenance. We do not use pool products that contain copper. The pebbletech stain in my picture only just appeared in the last week and a half along with the algae on the tile so I do not believe that this is a copper stain.

Attachments

• Intellichem front panel.JPG
    Intellichem front panel.JPG
    376.7 KB · Views: 7
All I can tell you is that our TFP methods are *not* the same as the pool stores nor apparently the pool companies. We have studied and updated methods for pool care which I can assure you are far more up to date than that device.

We work to maximize the lifespan of the device. They enjoy you using the cell up and buying a replacement.

Whatever works best for you is great. Just be aware that sometimes problems arise and we find ways to fix them that are different then theirs.

Maddie :flower:

Maddie answered the CC question above. Do not wait several minutes. You add the reagent for the CC test immediately following clearing the pink tint while testing for FC. If it doesn't immediately give a little pink tint when you swirl in the five drops of reagent then your CC is 0. Don't wait several minutes or the test is invalid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.