Having to SLAM but not really sure why...third time now

Change the dropper tip from the old bottle to the new bottle. Then see if you are getting the same result.

A full bottle of reagent needs no pressure on it to create the drops. I suspect your drop size is different.

Change the dropper tip from the old bottle to the new bottle. Then see if you are getting the same result.

A full bottle of reagent needs no pressure on it to create the drops. I suspect your drop size is different.
Alright, you've piqued my interest, I'll try that when I get home. But I'm a little confused, you suggest it's the fullness of the bottle that could affect the drop size, but suggest changing the tips. Are you saying the openings in the tips may be different as well?

Full disclaimer: my original bottle was what came with my TF-100 kit, ordered and received in November 2020. When this current algae issue crept up on me last week and I was low on reagent, I ordered from (that 2-day place) to ensure I had reagent on hand sooner if I needed it during the SLAM. So I know the obvious thought might be that the bottle I got is old/expired, but from everything I've read if the "new" bottle was actually old and had sat in a warehouse for 2 years it would be less effective and require more drops, not the other way around as I'm seeing. As for the bottles they are indeed a different shape from the TF100 kit and the new bottle which is the brown Taylor bottle, but I would hope the tips are some sort of standardized.

I meant those as two separate things. I know when I get a new bottle of reagent, it needs no pressure on the bottle to get the drops to form and fall. As the bottle gets near empty, it takes some slight pressure on the bottle to get the drops to form and fall.

So try either or both of the items I suggested.

Reactions: Auburn02
Well, it would appear someone already threw out the old bottle (shh, it was me). But I still did my latest OCLT, making sure not to squeeze the new bottle too hard - the first couple of drops did freefall, then I had to squeeze lightly - anyway dropped 1.0 overnight, and that was after sunrise this morning (no sun directly on the pool, but it was light out). With CC at 0.0 or 0.5 throughout the entire SLAM and the water being clear for several days now, I'm calling it a victory. I'll let FC drift down through today, and turn the SWCG back on this evening. We're leaving town for 3 days tomorrow so I'll set the SWCG a little higher to keep it at or above 10, then fine tune it when I get home.

Reactions: mknauss
full

• Haha
Reactions: Auburn02
My new breaker tripped again, less than 5 days after having it replaced. The replacement is also not a Siemens/Pentair.

At least it did allow me to reset it (for now), but I’m also about to leave town for three days. I’ll have a neighbor check on things and leave a couple gallons of chlorine on the porch, if the pump is off and breaker won’t reset ask him to add a half gallon a day.

This is the breaker I need, right? @JamesW @Jimrahbe

Am I really on my way to my second SLAM and still not knowing why?

When I last updated this thread, I thought I had licked this thing, and I still think I have (details below) but can't quite convince myself. Disclaimer: I never vacuumed in the traditional sense after the SLAM or at any time since having the pool installed for that matter. But I also have a Dolphin robot and read enough on here to think running that thing was sufficient, and during/after the SLAM we ran him a lot, cleaned him out each time, and ran him again and again. Things were good. Since the SLAM ended I've been keeping my FC at the high end of the recommended range for my CYA level (was 60, now 70) and yet....

Over the last couple of weeks, have begun noticing a green film along the bottom of the pool when swimming (most noticeable wearing a mask and looking along the decline into the deep end), and have had some stripes show up along the liner seams. Also more recently, in the last week or 10 days, have a white clump accumulating - always in the same spot due to the direction of one of my returns, makes it easy to see when it's back. Test after test comes back looking great, so I haven't thrown in the towel to start another SLAM just yet, and instead have been breaking out the vacuum hose a couple of times a day to vacuum the bottom instead of just relying on the robot.

Now, those details. Just to give an idea, here are some readings since my last update (I test more often, but I'll restrict to weekly since the numbers are consistent in between as well):

June 10June 19June 27July 5 9:15 pmJuly 6 6:24 am (OCLT)
FC13.09.08.58.07.5
CC0.50.50.50.5DNT
pH??7.87.87.8DNT
CYA60DNT5070DNT

So as you can see, FC has been staying up there, CC has never been higher than 0.5 (was even 0.0 during several tests in between these data points), I passed the OCLT last night/this morning with a 0.5 drop, and the water is clear except for what has settled on the bottom. When I brush the bottom everything I can see there puffs up and clouds the water until it settles again. I don't recall what puffing actually indicates, I just see it asked all the time!

I'm going to attach some pics now from the phone after I post this update. I'm hoping everything I see is dead, and the numbers seem to agree with that, and maybe it's just a matter of continue vacuuming until it stops showing back up, but wanted to update here in case I'm wrong. Happy to hear any and all opinions.

Pics incoming:

First pic, the white "glob" that always shows up in the same spot, This is along the edge of the incline from the deep to shallow end, directly in line with the deep end return. So it pushes this stuff into the corner and up the hill as far as it can until it stops and builds up here:
AC3A985E-E908-44B4-9382-886D70616F15.jpeg

This is just "downstrem" of the white glob, where the return jet runs out of steam I suppose and fans out a bit:
5B49FF00-076B-4556-B792-0C864701824B.jpeg

A view into the deep end alone a liner seam - as you can see, the water clarity is quite good throughout the column, at least I believe it to be:
26322431-E8A1-4331-8AA7-864202891283.jpeg

Zoomed in version of the above pic:
FB6EB394-BEF7-473C-BE2F-32CED55FA45D.jpeg

Last edited:
Another day, another good set of test results, another fine layer of green dust on the floor.

Last night at 10 p.m.
FC 10.0
CC 0.5

This morning at 6 a.m.
FC 9.0
CC 0.0

I'm really regretting that I ever brought the CYA up to 70, makes pulling the trigger on a SLAM a bit trickier. But my pool is small, I suppose me SLAMming my 13k pool to FC 28 is no harder than someone SLAMming their 30k pool with CYA 40 to FC 16 in theory.

I’ll just keep talking to myself here. 😆

I’m SLAMing again. It’s not really getting any worse but not getting any better either with constant brushing and vacuuming alone. Not going to try and bring down the CYA first, I’ll just deal with a little extra chlorine. I also really do not anticipate this taking more than a day or so given what I’ve been seeing and testing (never more than 0.5 CC, largest OCLT loss is 1.0, clear water column, just have the makings of algae film on the pool floor). Added MA to drop the pH and about 2.5 gallons of chlorine this evening. Should put me somewhere around 27 FC. I’ll test again in an hour or so. Once everything is clear, I’ll probably go two more gallons up to mustard SLAM level for good measure, there’s a twitch in the back of my mind that says it could be that given it seems to just be lingering even with FC staying in the 8-10 range over the past month.

If anyone reads this feel free to say hi! Or let me know if anything I’ve said sounds crazy or inaccurate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Seems like you have things under control. Look for all the hiding places you can think of that algae could be.

I’ll just keep talking to myself here. 😆

I’m SLAMing again. It’s not really getting any worse but not getting any better either with constant brushing and vacuuming alone. Not going to try and bring down the CYA first, I’ll just deal with a little extra chlorine. I also really do not anticipate this taking more than a day or so given what I’ve been seeing and testing (never more than 0.5 CC, largest OCLT loss is 1.0, clear water column, just have the makings of algae film on the pool floor). Added MA to drop the pH and about 2.5 gallons of chlorine this evening. Should put me somewhere around 27 FC. I’ll test again in an hour or so. Once everything is clear, I’ll probably go two more gallons up to mustard SLAM level for good measure, there’s a twitch in the back of my mind that says it could be that given it seems to just be lingering even with FC staying in the 8-10 range over the past month.

If anyone reads this feel free to say hi! Or let me know if anything I’ve said sounds crazy or inaccurate.
Is your robot still picking up stuff after you brush? If you hav extra guns filters for it, I’d use those.

Is your robot still picking up stuff after you brush? If you hav extra guns filters for it, I’d use those.
Autocorrect? Did you mean to say extra fine? It does have the double filters, the pleated snap in inserts and the more plastic-y drop in screen. When hosing it all out after running it’s not uncommon to see some green tint, so yes it definitely seems to pick some more up.

Seems like you have things under control. Look for all the hiding places you can think of that algae could be.
Thanks. I wish I could find some hiding places, our pool has no ladders, no railings, no water features other than wall jets. I’ve heard of algae hiding in light niches but I have microbrites, could that still be the case? I could unscrew those and buy a bottle brush I suppose to swab that area out.

So last night I did actually fail the OCLT, which makes me question my prior tests even though I did probably 3 or 4 OCLT tests over the last week and a half. Was 25.0 at 10 pm, 21.0 at 6:20 am. The only difference from the other tests to now other than the higher FC is I have the pump running all night which it usually is not. Don’t know if that tells me anything useful.

No reason to mess with the Globrites. Algae cannot grow behind them.

Simmer throat/weir door?

OCLT is pretty definitive. There is really no other reason for FC loss overnight than organic material in the water.

No reason to mess with the Globrites. Algae cannot grow behind them.

Simmer throat/weir door?

OCLT is pretty definitive. There is really no other reason for FC loss overnight than organic material in the water.
Are Globrites the same as Microbrites? Or maybe just a similar mount/housing between the two, never did get a chance to see these before they were installed. I will note though that one day I spotted one of them was unscrewed and protruding from the wall. I screwed it back in but didn't want to risk breaking anything and stopped when it got tough, but that one still protrudes maybe 1/8"-1/4" proud of the housing while the other two lights are flush....so that's got me curious.

I'll give a close look/scrub around the skimmer throat and weir.

Definitely agree about the OCLT, helps to confirm what I've been seeing too (i.e. pictures above). Just baffled about my prior testing now. Maybe I'll pick up one of those sample sizer things.

Autocorrect? Did you mean to say extra fine? It does have the double filters, the pleated snap in inserts and the more plastic-y drop in screen. When hosing it all out after running it’s not uncommon to see some green tint, so yes it definitely seems to pick some more up.
Ah, yes that’s what I meant, but autocorrect seemed to not agree.

No.
A Globrite uses a proprietary attachment that is a quarter turn.
A Microbrite uses a standard 1.5" plumbing connection and is screwed into the receptacle.
Gotcha - so with me having Microbrites, still not worth unscrewing them to check/clean or should I? I know they were installed "wet" for whatever that's worth, and I had that one that seemingly came loose that I screwed back in (maybe not all the way).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.