First season managing pool

SASPAC

Apr 15, 2020
Johnson City, TN
Hello!!

I moved into a home 3 years ago that has a 30 year old pool. Have had it taken care of by a local pool service for first few years and now taking it on myself. I started at local pool store and quickly realized I’d not be saving any $$ using their recommendations. I came across TFPC online and now transitioning to this system. I just received my tf 100 yesterday and ran all tests.

4/15/20
pH 7.5 (k1000 test)
Cl 5 (k1000 test)
FC 6.5
CC 0
CH 75
TA 90 (test turned blue at 8 drops and red at 9)
CYA 70

Local pool store results from 4/10/20:
ph 6.9
FC 6.3
TC 7.3
TA 19
CH 40
CYA 69

Pool store recommended 48 pounds of TA increaser with a goal of 150, weekly granular shock treatments, a full bottle of algacide and solid chlorine pucks.

The only thing I have put in the pool since I opened it a week ago is 24lbs of TA increaser and my TA went up by 70. I also put a single chlorine puck in my skimmer basket with no plans for more due to CYA levels.

Questions:
CYA
Reading through these forums this is borderline too high. I can either adjust FC levels (with liquid chlorine) according to the CYA/FC chart or do partial water change. Which is better for long term? I do expect a fair amount of rain I. Spring and early summer which will dilute it some.

Also, will it require more liquid chlorine to maintain the higher FC levels once I bring them up or should the chlorine demand be similar to lower CYA maintenance?

Just to confirm- for liquid chlorine without SWG TA should be maintained between 100-120?

Thank you all for your input and sorry for the novel.

Great job on the test kit. One tip for testing on all color change tests...always continue drops until there is no further color change. Don't count the last drop that resulted in no change. On the TA test, it will turn red, then a brighter shade of red. Either way, your TA is fine. Keep you pH in range and TA will adjust as needed.

That aside, your results look good. I assume the water looks clear?

You can lower your CYA a bit, but you can manage the pool at 70. You won't need to use more chlorine with higher levels of CYA. Your FC use is based on daily loss. Your pool will burn about the same amount of FC with a CYA of 40 or 70. A higher CYA level may even result in less daily FC loss. Stay away from tablets; you don't need more CYA. Your daily FC target is 8-10 ppm. The pH test becomes more inaccurate at FC levels above 10, so keep that in mind in the event your overshoot your target.

Reactions: Cwiggs
Great job on the test kit. One tip for testing on all color change tests...always continue drops until there is no further color change. Don't count the last drop that resulted in no change. On the TA test, it will turn red, then a brighter shade of red. Either way, your TA is fine. Keep you pH in range and TA will adjust as needed.

That aside, your results look good. I assume the water looks clear?

You can lower your CYA a bit, but you can manage the pool at 70. You won't need to use more chlorine with higher levels of CYA. Your FC use is based on daily loss. Your pool will burn about the same amount of FC with a CYA of 40 or 70. A higher CYA level may even result in less daily FC loss. Stay away from tablets; you don't need more CYA. Your daily FC target is 8-10 ppm. The pH test becomes more inaccurate at FC levels above 10, so keep that in mind in the event your overshoot your target.

Great!! Thanks for the color change testing tip!! I will continue to add drops on them until no further color change is noted leaving out the last drop.

Yes. Pool really looks clear so far.

It's good you ran away from the pool store. They were about to sell you some over-priced stuff that would only have you going back for more. :brickwall: Your CYA will slowly drop over the season too. No worries. As Mike noted, keep the FC balanced according to the FC/CYA Levels and you'll do fine. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.