First Pool: Need advice

Apr 30, 2014
fl
Just retired. Hot and humid days here in Florida, As money is an issue I am looking at above ground pool.

Cannot spend the thousands for a Dough Boy or other quality above ground.

My neighbor uses a 8 foot diameter livestock watering tank as a pool! Very rigid and lasts for years. These are used to water cattle so they are tough! They come in either blue poly (my choice) or galvanized.

Cost all of $275 and maybe a couple of hundred for a filter?

My other option for about the same money is one of those Intex pools i see at the stores.
My concern is the longevity of both the blow up ring and the sidewalls.

Any opinions?

I could get a smaller Intex for $100 and if it lasts one season buy again next year but is this a wise choice?

Just not sure about durability of Intex but they sell thousands of them.

Anybody care to chime in?

We started with an "Easy Set" (inflatable ring) 15' pool... It lasted about 2 seasons, then would not hold air in the top ring.
The next purchase was a 18' metal frame pool (Also Intex)... it lasted us about 5 years. And is actually still in service. (We gave it to one of my wife's co-workers 3 years ago, and she is still using it)
We lucked out, and purchased a 24' Intex pool from someone local at a steal because they were moving, and couldn't take it with them 4 years ago... I think they had it up for 2-3 years before selling it to us. I think we paid $200 for it.
Last year, I added a new "regular pool" liner to it because the old one had faded to white... but it is STILL going strong.
I have nothing bad to say about their pools. They are WELL worth the money.

We started with an "Easy Set" (inflatable ring) 15' pool... It lasted about 2 seasons, then would not hold air in the top ring.
The next purchase was a 18' metal frame pool (Also Intex)... it lasted us about 5 years. And is actually still in service. (We gave it to one of my wife's co-workers 3 years ago, and she is still using it)
We lucked out, and purchased a 24' Intex pool from someone local at a steal because they were moving, and couldn't take it with them 4 years ago... I think they had it up for 2-3 years before selling it to us. I think we paid $200 for it.
Last year, I added a new "regular pool" liner to it because the old one had faded to white... but it is STILL going strong.
I have nothing bad to say about their pools. They are WELL worth the money.

Thanks for the information!!! BTW: sand or cartridge filter??

I agree the Intex pools are an incredible bargain. Sand filter all the way, much less hassle.

SAND! We have an Intex metal frame AGP, and for the money so far has been worth it. I'm planning an upgrade in the next year or so, and am constantly seeing free above ground pools (with pumps) that people are removing. They will usually need a new liner once drained, but you can't beat free equipment! Usually the catch is to come and disassemble the pool yourself.

Our 18'x48" Intex Easy Set pool is in its 5th season. We've been impressed it's lasted this long. Not sure if they are still built to the same quality?

We did have a small pin hole in the bottom we had to patch at the beginning of last season. Not sure how it got there, but luckily it was close to the edge and we were able to find and patch it.

Definitely sand filter, wish I had upgraded from the cartridge sooner. Also we replaced the ladder during last season, the original was getting pretty rusty.

Could you expand on this? I have only had cartridge so I do not know the pros and cons or each.

Cartridges supposedly will filter better than sand, but they need to be cleaned or replaced periodically.

A sand filter needs to be backwashed periodically as well, but it's a pretty simple process. I find it much less of a hassle than cleaning a cartridge (or four, which I have now).

I've used both, and I never noticed any difference in the clarity of the water between the two. Sand is just less maintenance. I just bought a house with a cartridge filter, and if anything ever happens to it, I'll replace it with sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.