First pool drain-High CYA

Aug 17, 2016
Southlake, TX
I am a first time pool owner with one summer under my belt. I inherited a pool with high CYA(90-100). Previous pool owner used pucks.

I am having to maintain a high level of chlorine to keep algae at bay. Earlier this year, I bought a Dolphin S200 robot, but read that the robot warranty will be voided if placed in pool with chlorine levels higher then 4ppm. Tired of using so much chlorine, I bought a pump and started draining pool.

I am on day two of pool drain and have drained 2/3rds of the pool.

Questions:

1. Should I drain entire pool or keep last third, so I don't have to add stabilizer, to bring CYA to appropriate levels?

2. Should I do any type of maintenance while pool is drained? Plaster is 2 years old.

3. Once I fill pool, do I perform full chemical test then add appropriate amounts of bleach, acid.....etc?

4. I am removing Polaris 280 from pool. Do I need to cap return or leave it open?

5. Is there anything, that I am not asking, that you would suggest I do?

1. Don't drain the pool down....stop where you are.

2. What does the pool surface it look like?

3. Yes

4. The 280 is a pressure side cleaner, right?. Don't cap off that permanently....you may find a use for it.

5. Have you tested your fill water so you'll know in advance what adjustments you will need to make?

Unless your CH levels were also sky high, stop draining and start filling.

Once it's full and circulating, run a full battery of tests. Make sure it's all well mixed. Some brushing will help mix things up. It's like stirring creamer into coffee but on a massive scale. If CYA ends up 50 or less, you're good to go. Adjust pH, add necessary chlorine, and hop in.

The caution against running the cleaner above 4 FC really only applies to a pool with no CYA. 4 FC and 0 CYA would be pretty harsh. 5 FC at 50 CYA is actually less aggressive than municipal tap water.

If you're scientifically minded:
HOCl.gif

Pool surface looks good. I have been brushing it as pool has drained. I will test the fill water. Have not thought of that. Thanks for quick response
1. Don't drain the pool down....stop where you are.

2. What does the pool surface it look like?

3. Yes

4. The 280 is a pressure side cleaner, right?. Don't cap off that permanently....you may find a use for it.

5. Have you tested your fill water so you'll know in advance what adjustments you will need to make?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for response. CH levels are fine. The void warning for robot was a bit disconcerting. I appreciate reassurance.
Unless your CH levels were also sky high, stop draining and start filling.

Once it's full and circulating, run a full battery of tests. Make sure it's all well mixed. Some brushing will help mix things up. It's like stirring creamer into coffee but on a massive scale. If CYA ends up 50 or less, you're good to go. Adjust pH, add necessary chlorine, and hop in.

The caution against running the cleaner above 4 FC really only applies to a pool with no CYA. 4 FC and 0 CYA would be pretty harsh. 5 FC at 50 CYA is actually less aggressive than municipal tap water.

If you're scientifically minded:
HOCl.gif

I bought a Superior 1\4 HP Pump off of Amazon. Used 150 Ft. of garden house to pump into house clean out. City will not allow drainage into storm drain. Took two days to drain 2/3rds of a 20,000 gallon pool. Pump allows for larger hoses, but I used what I had. Didn't want to purchase a larger house. Pump worked very well. The only thing I didn't like is the length of cord-9ft. I had to use a extension cord.
What pump did you buy? Are you happy with it so far? I need to lower CYA as well so I'm looking into how I'm going to pump the water out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.