Yes sir, it seems to be getting better each day. This is Day 8 of the SLAM
dbtgallery.php

- - - Updated - - -

SLAM Day 8 pic 2
dbtgallery.php

- - - Updated - - -

Evening Picture of SLAM Day 8
dbtgallery.php

Thanks so much Dave, that drawing helped take some of the mystery out of the task ahead. I will let you all know how our first deep cleaning and inspection of our sand filter turns out. I can't express how grateful I am for all your assistance!

Day 8 of SLAM
7:35am- FC: 28 (Added 1 quart, 3 cups, 2 oz
4:40pm_ FC: 26.5 (Added 3 quarts

PSI still holding steady at 17, vacuumed and swept this morning and again this evening

Deep cleaned the sand filter, there wasn't a lot of trash in there but sure was some awfully nasty dark brown water which rolled out and over the top for almost an hour before it finally ran clear. Cleaned it all the way down to the bottom, everything looked in working order and in place. Once completed we backwashed and rinsed before returning it to filter. Also my creative husband sorta jerry rigged up the old paper cartridge filter to run the pool while we cleaned the sand filter, just to ensure that the pool didn't loose any circulation or filtering time. Once we got the sand filter back together and running, I added more chlorine due to having all that fresh tap water in the sand filter that would be going back into the pool. We also decided to leave the old paper cartridge filter running as well, so as of now we have both filters up and running the pool. With a freshly cleaned sand filter and a cheep little paper cartridge filter, both filtering the pool, the pool should completely clear over the next day or two for sure.

Good work! Should give you peace of mind that you know your filter is functioning properly and you won't have to deep clean for a year or two.

About all that's left is to filter out that last cloudiness but I would sure like to figure out the source.

dbtgallery.php

- - - Updated - - -

SLAM day 9 Pic 2
dbtgallery.php

- - - Updated - - -

SLAM Day 9 and the Green Sludge in the middle of the pool again this morning
dbtgallery.php

- - - Updated - - -

SLAM Day 9, once the green sludge dries in the sun, its all tiny little grains that can blow away in breeze. Mystery continues a to what it is and where it come from
dbtgallery.php

SLAM Day 9 testing

8:00am- FC: 28 (Added 1 quart, 2 cups
12:00 pm- low on regent more will be delivered tomorrow, so no testing just winged it and added 9 cups due to cleaning out sand filter and adding all that fresh water thru the sand filter cleanout
5:30pm- FC: 27.5 (Added 2 quarts, 3oz

SLAM Day 10

Pool water still has slight residual cloudiness, not too much at all but still not what I call TFP crystal clear. That annoying mud like substance showed up again this morning, so vacuumed & swept entire pool and walls again and did an OCLT just because the mystery mud showed up again.

Day 10 testing results
7:52am- FC: 28 (Added 1 quart, 3 cups, 2oz
4:43pm- FC: 27 (Added 2 quarts, 1 cup, 5oz
6:00pm- FC: 28 (Added 1quart, 3cups, 2oz

OCLT
8:00pm- FC: 31 (No additions needed)
8:00pm- CC: 0

(SLAM Day 11)
6:00am- FC: 30.5
6:00am- CC: 0.5

Temps here have dropped from partly cloudy days in the 80's, to Day 11 of SLAM with a sudden drop of temp down to 53, accompanied by constant rain. Looks like were going to be in high 50's and low 60's during the day for the remainder of the week. What effect will this have on negative or positive on my current 11 day SLAM? I haven't checked the PH for 11 days straight and now we have this constant rain, so should I remain unconcerned with the PH until after the SLAM is complete and FC drifts back below 10?

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

You have done a great job keeping your FC up. I think it's apparent that you can stop your SLAM even though your pool is not as clear as you (or TFP) like. Further filtration will finish the job and I see no reason why you can't let your FC drift down to maintenance level. Refer to the FC/CYA chart for your correct level.....I can't remember your CYA for sure.

You've done a great job. The contamination in your pool remains a puzzle to me. You may discover something down the road that solves that mystery.......let us know

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wanted so badly to perform my first ever SLAM correctly and efficiently, THANK YOU DAVE for sticking in there with me throughout this entire process and helping me achieve my goal. You are very much appreciated!! My husband told his friend yesterday "That TFP guy Dave has absolutely been my wife's safety net for all things SLAM and pool related for days on end now, and I don't know the guy, but I sure appreciate him and owe him a beer, because he sure took the pressure off me during her green pool fight, all I had to do was keep her supplied with liquid chlorine!" LOL

Pre SLAM CYA was 80, (we have had several days of rain that required me to drain water out of the pool to prevent overflowing, so I'm guessing my CYA will be lower now).
We will have cold rainy days all week this week until Saturday, so I wont be able to properly test CYA until this weekend when it is supposed to be a sunny 80 degrees. I braved the 50 degree weather during a down pour of rain at 6am today just to get the leaves and junk out of the pool that the rain and wind keeps throwing in there, then I vacuumed & brush it,,,, teeth clattering cold, and I honestly don't want to do that again every morning this week in the cold pouring rain....Can I get out of at least vacuuming it until this rain quits? LOL

SLAM Day 12

Pool water is beautifully clear & passed OCLT testing again last night. So proud to see the results of my first ever SLAM. I will say from my experience the hardest part of a SLAM is the constant sweeping and vacuuming and the most important part (at least to me) is the "AM" (Shock Level And Maintain) part of the word SLAM. The required repetitive testing has given me a boost of confidence in my ability to perform the testing accurately. The most valuable thing I have learned is that if you maintain a TFP Pool, you will never go thru any pool issue alone! The TFP support system is absolutely amazing!

I have been watching this thread. Great transformation, especially from the photo in post #30 to the photos in post #52. What great effort you've made. Nice job!

Thank You, it has been amazing to watch our pool go from complete green to sparkling TFP clean & clear. My contribution to the process was my willingness to listen, learn and follow instructions.
All credit goes to Dave and TFP. The hands on guidance, education and support I have received from them has been amazing and invaluable.

Mystery solved, the small balls of green sludge that we were finding in the middle of the pool each morning, were small acorn seeds from the giant oak tree. Once we got the SLAM completed and the pool clear, we installed our homemade DIY leaf dome over the pool to prevent any leaves entering the pool and the first morning after the install, the leaf netting had a bunch of these little brown and green seed balls on the netting. Once put into water they turn slimmy and green and float until they become water filled and then sink. I proud to say the leaf dome works great and prevent all the leaves, acorns and debris from entering the pool. Fall pool maintenance just got a lot easier around here! LOL

dbtgallery.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.