Southern Ontario Canada.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hey all. This is my second year with our pool. Semi inground salt water Hayward equipment. Pool company opened pool, said once it’s topped up with water everything is ready to go. Flipped on pump today and it’s running and circulating but pressure gauge is at 0 and hasn’t budged. Is that weird? Is something going on here that I need to address? Not sure if they’ve overlooked something or if something is malfunctioning. C401412E-7B52-4686-B6FF-C850692DF856.jpeg

Was the pressure gauge taken out when the pool was winterized? I would try shutting off the valves for intake and return, put the multiport in the closed position and unscrew the gauge from the multiport. Some water may squirt out. Hold it above your head and turn it upside down and see if the needle can free itself. You can also try rotating the gauge counter clockwise in your hand and see if you can move the needle to the correct side of the stop. If you can get it free the next trick will be screwing it back in without messing up the needle again. If you are unable to fix it new gauges are fairly cheap and easy to find at a hardware store. Measure the threaded end to get the correct diameter to look for.

Hmmm. Good catch. That’s not a trick. I didn’t even notice that. How would that have happened? And how do you fix that?
It’s really weird. I took it off, and if I press on it and apply pressure, the needle moves the opposite way. It’s like someone flipped it around (or replaced it with a different one??).

Last edited:
Was the pressure gauge taken out when the pool was winterized? I would try shutting off the valves for intake and return, put the multiport in the closed position and unscrew the gauge from the multiport. Some water may squirt out. Hold it above your head and turn it upside down and see if the needle can free itself. You can also try rotating the gauge counter clockwise in your hand and see if you can move the needle to the correct side of the stop. If you can get it free the next trick will be screwing it back in without messing up the needle again. If you are unable to fix it new gauges are fairly cheap and easy to find at a hardware store. Measure the threaded end to get the correct diameter to look for.
Appreciate the reply. Unfortunately I was unable to fix it. Pool company is bringing me a replacement. Anyway, I’m actually kind of relieved it is just a busted gauge and not something wrong with the filter or pump.

Reactions: zea3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had two gauges fail at reopening the last two years after the pool company closed my pool. I closed this past winter myself and yet again the gauge was non functional at reopening 2021. I thought maybe it had something to do with pressurizing the system when closing? But I don't think a shopvac would produce enough line pressure to kill the gauge. Either way i've purchased a new one each year for about $15. When I close at the end of this year, I am going to take the gauge out and put a plug in the hole.

Reactions: Toad_stools
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.