Firebowls not lighting

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

Not sure if this is a plumbing type issue or other....

Have 2 firebowls and the are not lighting. When I turn them on, I hear the igniter clicking every 3-4 seconds and making a spark. Both firebowls are doing the same. I don't think that gas is getting there bc I do no smell anything. The make and model is the Grand Effects Copper Essex Firebowl

I have made sure the gas is turned on at both units, and that the gas is turned on at the meter/regulator. we have three gas runs: to fireplace, gas grill and firebowls. I was able to turn the gas on at the f-place and the gas grill. Also valve switches are the same for all 3 units.

The firebowls have a separate electrical box that comes off the main pool breaker. The 15amp breaker is turned on - it has a reset button and I've hit it a couple of times. I'm getting spark, just not getting gas.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Here's a close-up of the igniter, then an over all pic? The last time it worked was about 3-4 months ago. I tried them about 2-4 weeks ago and no go. we have covers for them that are on them 99% of the time.

thank you and pls advise - tstex

Attachments

• f-bowl close-up.jpg
    f-bowl close-up.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 48
  • f-bowl-whole picture.jpg
    f-bowl-whole picture.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 48
Thanks Dennis - pls see below.

You may have air in your gas line
How would I determine this?

Have you tried lighting it with a taper
I have not tried lighting it other than by the system.

Sometimes the igniter lead shorts out
I am getting a good spark. I think it is something w the gas line...I guess I need to pull it apart to try and purge the gas lines.

Steps?
Turn-off gas at the meter
Turn off the breaker that provides the spark [put a note on unit - DO NOT TOUCH]
Turn-off the gas at the unit itself

Disconnect gas line from unit.
Turn on valve at meter
open valve at unit to see if I get gas flow to see:

If not at first then yes, the lines have been purged..

If yes immediately ??

If no gas flow come out?

Lastly, if I do purge the first firebowl on the gas run, do I have to do the same thing to the one about 20 ft downstream from this one?

Thank you

Really all you need to do is turn off the electricity and gas to the firebowl
Undo the union from the gas line to the firebowl
Turn the gas on and check for gas (smell should be sufficient no naked flames)
Yes do the same for the other one
I would be inclined to do the last one on the line first

"I would be inclined to do the last one on the line first"

That makes great sense bc if it's btw main line and the first one, it could also be btw the 2 of them too. But if I get gas on the second line, then I should on the first one too.

If I do not get gas on either one, then should I disconnect at both meter and both f-bowl units, take compressed air and see if I can purge the line of any water or other?

Thank you

We had the same issue with our new NG heater. Called the installer back, he loosened the union until gas started coming out, tightened it up.....(waited about 2min for the air to clear).....then turned it back on. It fired up immediately.

It was just the new line had air in it and needed purged out. Hopefully that is the problem you're having as well.

"I would be inclined to do the last one on the line first"

That makes great sense bc if it's btw main line and the first one, it could also be btw the 2 of them too. But if I get gas on the second line, then I should on the first one too.

If I do not get gas on either one, then should I disconnect at both meter and both f-bowl units, take compressed air and see if I can purge the line of any water or other?

Thank you

I would be inclined to just release the union at the appliance and see if air/water comes out first of all
Sometimes you do get water in a gas run (condensation) which causes an airlock but on opening to atmosphere helps it push through.
If not your suggestion of blowing out the gas run would be an alternative but be careful as you could blow debris into your appliance and blocking the jets

We had the same issue with our new NG heater. Called the installer back, he loosened the union until gas started coming out, tightened it up.....(waited about 2min for the air to clear).....then turned it back on. It fired up immediately.

It was just the new line had air in it and needed purged out. Hopefully that is the problem you're having as well.

Vec, how long had you been running your heater when this happened, or did this happen the first time you used it? thank you

- - - Updated - - -

"If not your suggestion of blowing out the gas run would be an alternative but be careful as you could blow debris into your appliance and blocking the jets"

I was referring to undoing the line at the meter and at the unit, then blow from unit backwards to gas meter so if anything came it, it would not be in the pool area...Thanks for the heads-up too

Vec, how long had you been running your heater when this happened, or did this happen the first time you used it? thank you

- - - Updated - - -

"If not your suggestion of blowing out the gas run would be an alternative but be careful as you could blow debris into your appliance and blocking the jets"

I was referring to undoing the line at the meter and at the unit, then blow from unit backwards to gas meter so if anything came it, it would not be in the pool area...Thanks for the heads-up too
First time running it....newly installed gas line.

Thanks Vec - My line has been installed for over 2.5 yrs and worked successfully for 2 yrs...I can understand the orig line not being purged, so prob not the same issue, but I am going to check it anyway since it's an easy thing to do overall - thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.