Fire Pit Height - show me your fire pits

Are you kidding? I like how big your pit is as well as being wood burning. It looks very campfire like :)

umm. Thanks? I guess I take that as a compliment. I purposely built it big. I didn't like any of the DYI "kits". Too small for what I wanted. I had a bunch of old (non decorative or colored) concrete block laying around from another landscaping application that I tore up. First I dug down a good 10" and leveled out the area. Then I buried 2 courses of that ugly block as the footing. (You can actually see a little of it below the first visible course.

Then what you see is a textured block I got at Lowes. Stacked 3 layers and done. I have a big property with a lot of trees that drop branches and more wood stacked than I can use in 5 years. So this pit actually gets used as a "clean-up" station. Comes in handy in the early spring when a lot of debris has fallen over the winter. The pics I provided were from when I built it a few years ago. Today it has the lawn growing right up to the base. This fall I plan to lay a paver patio around (and up to) the base of the pit and install a sitting wall. The kids love when I make a fire and we can have a Smores roast.

I also have a propane pit with glass and tile surface up on my patio by the house closer to the pool with a deep seating wicker set around it. That is more for the weekend night ambiance while sipping a glass of wine. (Sorry no pics right now of that)

Mine is gas with colored glass in it-

45d9bdaeb61e8572638c735e74c74ad4.jpg

The glass comes from a outfit out in Utah called American Specialty Glass. It really lights up at night and I love not having to clean out ashes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am curious, when you say " lights up at night" do you mean the glass rock glows also? I have 2 fire bowls on my 24" raised wall and have been thinking about glass rocks, if they really glowed that would be cool! Do you have a night time picture, thanks in advance.

I am curious, when you say " lights up at night" do you mean the glass rock glows also? I have 2 fire bowls on my 24" raised wall and have been thinking about glass rocks, if they really glowed that would be cool! Do you have a night time picture, thanks in advance.

Old pics. Phone doesn't do it justice.

AB1184EC-19CB-4778-B5E6-87F50B197706_zps5og4mcjn.jpg

58153A25-43FD-4AFE-9224-A9CCBA961F62_zps1xygadoe.jpg

My color is called "River Blend" (I think) so it has a lot of dark blues and greens in it. The glass doesn't glow as in its gets glowing hot but rather it reflects and recasts the light of the fire. My glass is also glass chunks which are just large jagged pieces.

You could go with a blend of glass that is a mixture of clear and silvery colors and use smoothed pebble or bead shaped glass to get a much brighter reflection of the fire.

ASG will send you free colored glass samples (I got three small boxes worth that I now use for school projects with the kids) that you can look at. It helps a lot to see the color blends in person.

mikemass - don't be ashamed. You have a great fire pit. Reminds me of being out at the cottage and that is a good thing. Here in Oak Park MI we are not allowed to have any open flame, not even a covered fire pit.
We used to have a sitting wall but it was too tall, never comfortable and we ended up using it to hold drink dispensers. So when we had the patio enlarged, we had the wall removed. So glad we did. ;o)

Just completed our bbq island and fire pit last week. Fire pit is 16" high and 5' in diameter, LP (line runs from pool equipment to both island and pit), black lava rock (a no no to have wood burning in San Diego), with 4 surface led lights just under lip of the stone top. The height is very comfortable for both sitting on and using a chair - and we're a tall family.

IMG_1452_zps8o6xj5pd.jpg

Just finished this.
I'm hoping the Kentucky Bluegrass I planted this Spring comes back this Fall, Summer wiped it out.
I vision a brick paver patio around it, but everyone else in the house wants grass.

Looking for a 30" fire snuffer lid and a spark screen next.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice juicemann. Looks a lot like mine. What did you use for the insert? I have debated adding the top stones to mine like you have. I mulched around mine for the time being. Plan to do pavers next summer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nice juicemann. Looks a lot like mine. What did you use for the insert? I have debated adding the top stones to mine like you have. I mulched around mine for the time being. Plan to do pavers next summer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I used this fire ring from http://www.wayfair.com/The-Ultimate-Fire-Ring-1012-KCB1003.html , it was the best price I could find for the 12" height I wanted. It's 30" diameter. Very solid, 25 lbs.
Krueger Custom Steel - Shop Our Products is the home site for the ring.

All of my blocks are from Lowes.

This pic with the mountains in the background brings back fond memories of my time living in Sierra Vista, AZ, while stationed at Ft Huachuca in the '90s. It was my Carolina Girl wife's first lengthy period outside of the South, and she absolutely fell in love with the Southwest.

Do you have any measurements that you can share of your setup? What's the height of your fire pit? Distance from fire pit to seating wall? Height of seating wall? I like your setup, looks really nice.

Fire Pit Height is 18 1/2 inches tall
Bench sitting area is 18 1/2 inches tall
Bench is 27 inches away from pit all along the curve.

We had a bit of an argument with the masons when they were building it. They said standard distance between the sitting area and fire pit should be 30 inches. However my high school (at the time) daughter was only 5 feet tall and the rest of us are 5 8 or shorter. Since it was ours and we wanted to be comfortable we shortened that distance so my daughter could also rest her feet comfortably on the pit while sitting.

My wife used a bunch of painters tape and chairs to come up with the exact measurements she wanted to have it look good and my daughter could be comfortable as well. We are thrilled how it came out, wouldn't change a thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.