Finished SLAM (I thought). Is this algae?

thechairperson

Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2019
Northwest Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We finished our SLAM and swam yesterday. Woke up this morning and looked at the pool and found little spots with streaks (see attached pictures). I tried to brush the areas and the spots floated around, but the streaks remained on the plaster. When I used a net to take one of the spots out it seemed to be something like algae. Maybe I'm not keeping my chlorine high enough?

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 46
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 47
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 40
My nemesis! Tannins! Those trees are dropping things in your pool and the tannins are staining your surface.

Eventually the chlorine will take care of it. For stains bigger than a quarter I put a puck on them for 30ish minutes and they're gone. You don't want to leave a puck on the surface too long though.

I mean it's just cosmetic, you don't HAVE to worry about any of them. I just let the little seed ones fade with time but the "nut" ones drive me crazy so I do the puck trick.

You can also elevate your FC somewhere between the upper target number and SLAM levels. For example, with a CYA of 50 somewhere between 10-15. That'll make them go away quicker as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.