Finding a fair price?

Laudermel

Apr 23, 2022
Minnesota
Is anyone else trying to find installation services this year and finding that the prices are crazy off the charts?

I've been researching various pool products & determined that we'd ideally like to install a Radiant pool in ground. I found a local company who is willing to install an 18' x 34' oval pool with a 6' deep end, in ground (their install process requires 4"-6" above ground).

All told, the estimate they gave would cost nearly $55,000 (not including final landscaping or concrete work and the fence we'd have to update). This would be for the pool, steps, 260k BTU heater, Salt System purifier, excavation, installation, gas & electric hook up estimate.

From what I'm reading, this is a crazy inflated price? Yet, I can't find any other installer in my area (Minnesota / Twin Cities metro). Can anyone share advice? I realize these things aren't cheap, but I really don't want to be cheated.

Pools have made a huge resurgence in popularity. Yes i agree that's a lot for a fiberglass pool. All I can suggest is find as many builders as you can and call them all. If you want a pool, that's probably what you're going to have to pay.

FYI: you're probably too late to swim this season anyway.

Reactions: Laudermel
Pools have made a huge resurgence in popularity. Yes i agree that's a lot for a fiberglass pool. All I can suggest is find as many builders as you can and call them all. If you want a pool, that's probably what you're going to have to pay.

FYI: you're probably too late to swim this season anyway.
Oh seriously? HARD pass then.
Yeah, it's not for a fiberglass pool, it's for a pool with sides made of panels of aluminum/EPS that are intended to be either above ground or in-ground. They get pretty good reviews from what I'm reading.

At this point though the cost is getting similar to an in ground pool (though most of them in MN are starting at the $90k range for an 18x34... Our yard isn't even ideal for a pool so this Radiant product would allow us to use a little less concrete apron (and thus, a smaller footprint overall), so that's part of the appeal.

I just can't find any other installer than this one and this one seems to want an absolute fortune. When I asked him how much it cost to replace the liner he quoted $6k-$8k... even that sounded like a lot??

Yeah, it's not for a fiberglass pool, it's for a pool with sides made of panels of aluminum/EPS that are intended to be either above ground or in-ground. They get pretty good reviews from what I'm reading.

At this point though the cost is getting similar to an in ground pool (though most of them in MN are starting at the $90k range for an 18x34... Our yard isn't even ideal for a pool so this Radiant product would allow us to use a little less concrete apron (and thus, a smaller footprint overall), so that's part of the appeal.

I just can't find any other installer than this one and this one seems to want an absolute fortune. When I asked him how much it cost to replace the liner he quoted $6k-$8k... even that sounded like a lot??

Why not just buy an above ground pool for like $5k and put it in yourself? They are only like 4-5 feet deep but in the end you can do some pretty nice above ground pools. And, you'll be swimming this season if you put it into high gear. Heck even those inflatable ones would be quick and easy to see if you like the idea of a pool in general.

Why not just buy an above ground pool for like $5k and put it in yourself? They are only like 4-5 feet deep but in the end you can do some pretty nice above ground pools. And, you'll be swimming this season if you put it into high gear. Heck even those inflatable ones would be quick and easy to see if you like the idea of a pool in general.

These last two summers, we had a 15' above ground ground Intex that I found on FB Marketplace for $200. We have enjoyed that so much and gotten so much use out of it that we decided to see if we could do something more permanent. One of the things we dislike the most is the above ground nature of the Intex. With neighbors in close proximity, you feel like you're really close to the fence line when you climb over & we just wanted something more in-the-ground.

Truth be told, we could put the money into a full in ground pool and I think we'd be in this house long enough to make it worth it. I just liked the idea of the more minimal footprint of a radiant without as much of a concrete apron. And, I liked the idea of a little less cost. I really hate the idea of being grifted and overpaying.

I've spent a couple of weeks now, googling and calling every pool place in the metro and am just not finding any better options, so I might be stuck with these as my options.

Thank you for your input! I really appreciate the insight.

I looked at those radiant pools are they really considered above ground? They look like inground to me and the website says inground. Or are you looking at their "Metric" pools?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Radiant can be above ground, semi-inground, or fully inground. Metric is the on-ground offering but the product is essentially the same. They are different from a traditional rolled steel wall, they have rigid panels that are joined together.

Optimum is another similar product, maybe you can see if anyone in your area installs those? Optimum Pool

We've had others here install Radiant pools and they looked really nice. I understand your reasons, but the price just seems unreasonable.
Perhaps give the Radiant folks a call and ask them if they use/know of any installers in the area? They may name someone you're not aware of and can help you.

Maddie 🇺🇦

Reactions: PoolGate

Definitely feels like we’ve gone through the looking glass. We rebuilt our outdoor kitchen this past year and it was pretty pricey, but I think it’s only gotten worse. I don’t really believe that costs have increased as much as there is just a lot of pent up demand among people with discretionary cash. That’s the way the free market functions - if you want it badly enough, you’ll pay for it, or someone else will, until demand declines. My wife and I have been shopping for a heavy duty pickup and Airstream. F250’s are priced $20k above sticker, and that’s if you can find one. New 27’ Airstreams are well over $100k. We’ll be placing any RV plans on hold.

Reactions: Laudermel
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.