Lock-in Fitted Winter Cover
    Acrylic Step Cover 6ft
    Extra Water Line for Pool Cleaner
    Maintenance Kit:
    Deluxe Vacuum Hose (35’ length) Deluxe Vacuum Head
    Deluxe Telescopic Pole (8’ - 16’) Deluxe Leaf Skimmer
    Stainless Steel 3 Tread Ladder Deluxe Thermometer

Pool Installation
    Excavation w Backhoe Excavator & Fill Removal using a Bobcat (as a second machine)
    Leveling and Concreting the Steel Walls using 3000 psi Concrete
    Three Stage Hard Bottom:
    1st Stage - Gravel (3/4” Clear Stone) 4 - 6” Thickness
    2nd Stage - Concrete (3000 psi) 4” Thickness
    3rd Stage - Vermiculite Coating 1” Thickness
    Plumbing the Pool to the Filtration Equipment with 2” Flex PVC or Polyethelyne Piping
    Plumbing of Filtration Equipment and any Aboveground Plumbing with Schedule 40 Rigid PVC
    Back Fill with 3/4” Clear Stone or Granular “A”
    Concrete Deck (3’ width) 4000 psi, Air-entrained Concrete 4 - 5” Thickness
    Re-inforced with 6 X 6 Steel Mesh, or Rebar (Where needed or Applicable)
    Deck is Supported on Double “A” Deck Frame System

Self-drawn plan / design:
IMG-20130508-00056.jpg

Day 1: Excavation. Weather is calling for thunderstorms so not sure if they will be done today or get stopped due to rain.

IMG-20130522-00075.jpg

IMG-20130522-00076.jpg

Raining here so no work today.

Upgraded to an 8' step (from 6')

Question - which test kit do I need to buy? I want to buy one from here and support the site.

Other Questions...

Filter - should I upgrade to Cartridge? Or is sand better?

Pump - Stay with 1HP pump or go to a variable? We will be having a waterfall / feature installed.

Shaf77 said:
Raining here so no work today.

Upgraded to an 8' step (from 6')

Question - which test kit do I need to buy? I want to buy one from here and support the site.

Other Questions...

Filter - should I upgrade to Cartridge? Or is sand better?

Pump - Stay with 1HP pump or go to a variable? We will be having a waterfall / feature installed.

Anyone?

It's a busy time of year; someone more knowledgeable than me will be along as soon as they can. In the meantime, read through Pool School by clicking the button at the top of the page.

The test kit members here usually recommend (myself included!) is the TF-100 from http://www.tftestkits.net/.

I can't really comment on the filter option, but I'd definitely look at a DE filter if it's an option for you. You'll get a much more thorough cleaning with a DE filter.

I believe the general consensus is to go with the variable if you can afford it, especially because of energy savings and potential rebates if your state/province offers them (not sure what the situation is in Canada).

Hope this holds you over until someone else can comment. Enjoy your new pool, and please post new pictures as you take them! :)

Personal taste from someone who lived in Ontario less than a year ago and now lives in Québec.

I Suggest the TF-100 kit. I don't have it (yet), but most guys here seem to recommend it over all others. Plus, it seems most guys here have that kit, and therefore can help you use it correctly. I ordered it from poolsupplyworld.com. If you get it shipped to a FedEX store in Buffalo, NY, they will hold it for you for 3$ and you can just go pick it up at your convenience...

I would go with cartridge filter simply for the fact that water costs money in Ontario and back-washing means you will have to add water back to your pool, increasing cost. Cartridges can be pulled out of of the filter and cleaned, then re-inserted. A bit more of a hassle, but you do save a little money there.

Pump. As price of electricity is ridiculous in Ontario (my house in Québec costs less than half of my Ontario electricity bill, monthly), I suggest buying a pump that needs to run as little as possible to get what you need out of it. I have a 3/4 HP Tristar, and it runs everything very nicely. I will even add deck jets in a couple weeks. I don't run my pump all day, only about 15 hours. I would run it much less (6-8 hours), but my solar needs the pump to run to heat the pool... I echo stevenm's comments on variable if you can afford it. You will make your money back in a season or two.

Again, I'll reiterate that I am brand new here as well, this is my first season with a pool but this site has already taught me so much. Great bunch of guys here, listen to them...

JF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hawkgt said:
what kind of coping and pavers did you use, they look great. I also really looking me the retaining wall.

The coping is a natural stone (limestone).

All the wall caps, firepit bench and firepit have the same stone.

Pavers are Unilock Beacon Hill

Accent stone is Oaks Collonade

Retaining walls are all armour stone.

I'm looking into having a vinyl pool installed with jets in the steps; just as you had mentioned in the original post. Our Hayward builder is all for it, our Fox builder is against it. We live in Ontario also, so exact same climate & conditions. Have you had any problems with yours? Did they stop working or leaking d/t the flex in acrylic/fiberglass steps? And do you have a total of 3 seperate return lines? (one for pool cleaner, one for step jets, and one for pool wall jet?)
Thanks for your input!

OOPS, I mistook your join date for your posting date. With our weather I'm guessing you haven't even been able to take a dip in your new pool yet! But keep me posted if you run into any problems with your step jets. Your pool looks perfect BTW! Enjoy!

I'm looking into having a vinyl pool installed with jets in the steps; just as you had mentioned in the original post. Our Hayward builder is all for it, our Fox builder is against it. We live in Ontario also, so exact same climate & conditions. Have you had any problems with yours? Did they stop working or leaking d/t the flex in acrylic/fiberglass steps? And do you have a total of 3 seperate return lines? (one for pool cleaner, one for step jets, and one for pool wall jet?)
Thanks for your input!

You need to have return jets in the steps.. Or else the water will not circulate in that area.

We have a pair of return at the steps, on return in the shallow end and another in the deep end. And the waterfall as a separate one. We do not have one for pool cleaner. I use a robot. If I want to manually clean, I connect to the skimmer.

OOPS, I mistook your join date for your posting date. With our weather I'm guessing you haven't even been able to take a dip in your new pool yet! But keep me posted if you run into any problems with your step jets. Your pool looks perfect BTW! Enjoy!

We actually opened up the pool Easter Monday. Starting swimming a couple of weeks ago already!

The past weekend was great. Heated up the pool to 88F and we swam both Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks for the comments :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.