Final backfill to bring pool to grade after settling?

jamjam

Jun 25, 2020
NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
the dirt around my pool has settled about 8 inches in the weeks after it was backfilled. There has been some heavy rain. I don't plan on doing patio work until next season, but i do need to get my fence up soon so I can get my CO - i clearly will need to bring in fill to bring this up to grade, what should I use? Should i use gravel around the pool surround? PB used the excavated dirt (i know) to back fill, I am on Long Island and it is very sandy. I am not in a huge rush, but i do need to get my fence in for my CO and i don't want it in the way of bringing in fill and i also dan't want want install it and then have take it down to bring in more fill. Any advice?

pool.jpg

I’m all inspected. I left the trench open and even the light niche open from the back. He took less than 20 seconds to inspect and never looked at any of that. I would not risk doing the pavers though until it’s inspected.

Reactions: Heavenlytunes
I’m all inspected. I left the trench open and even the light niche open from the back. He took less than 20 seconds to inspect and never looked at any of that. I would not risk doing the pavers though until it’s inspected.
Have you ever came across this video?
I'm wondering if now that we still with dirt that we can do something to prevent this.

Interesting. I actually still have my light niche exposed. I made sure they didn’t backfill it in case the inspector wanted to see it. Good thing I did because it was leaking. I’ll re-inspect the conduit connection in the spring when I backfill it and do my pavers.

Get rid of the dirt around the pool and use that for grading. Bring in proper base material and replace that dirt. You can do the fence amd grade up to it I do it all the time. Easy to take a section out to run a skidsteer thru to move material. Vinyl fences pop out in less than a minute

I think the dirt has settled as much as it is going to. We have had several heavy rain events and no more settlement happens or any cracks. My plan is to bring in RCA and sand and do pavers. I’ll do a concrete collar for the coping. I’m gonna bring in paver people for an estimate on materials only as well as the full job. I’m gonna do it in April so I’ll have several more months for compaction.

Get rid of the dirt around the pool and use that for grading. Bring in proper base material and replace that dirt.
Is that even feasible without risk of damaging the plumbing or walls? I mean I'm sure it is otherwise you wouldn't suggest it, I'm just curious what that would entail. I too have a pool surrounded by dirt, but I had him stop backfilling after the initial inspection and asked him to fill no more to allow it to settle since I'm not finishing the deck for another couple months at least. So I currently have about 15-18" of unfilled area above the soil that was added. My plan is to leave it be for the next 2-3 months until we're ready to finish the decking, then have that contractor use gravel to raise the remaining fill to the appropriate level and then set pavers. If I feel especially froggy I might spend some time out there with a shovel and manually remove some additional dirt, but not sure how far I can expect to realistically get.

The plumbing is usually 18" down from wall cap. Easy to move around with a skidsteer and backdrag away from walls. Some handwork needed obviously. You need 6" minimum of DGA for a pool deck and that's on good soil. Much more on clay or expansive soils if you want a solid paver deck with no birdbaths

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
He did some sonotubes around the pool with concrete

Attachments

• 20201209_124423.jpg
    20201209_124423.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201209_124407.jpg
    20201209_124407.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201209_124659.jpg
    20201209_124659.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20201209-143627_Speco Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201209-143627_Speco Player.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201209_162438.jpg
    20201209_162438.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201209_162544.jpg
    20201209_162544.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20201209_162538.jpg
    20201209_162538.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 20
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.