Filter Won't Stop Backwash (continuous siphon)

thadius65

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Bloomsburg, PA
Hello, I have a vary typical setup on my inground - Hayward Vari-flo XL valve and a S244T sand filter. All has been great for past 7 seasons. This open is a bit challenging. All came up good, backwashed, rinsed and put back in operation. Woke up this morning and noticed a drop from mid skimmer to bottom of skimmer. I went to filter and noticed the clear section of the backwash line was showing some low flow. Sure enough, I went to the back of the shed where the backwash hose is located, and there was flow. Thinking things may be stuck, I shut down, spun the handle back to backwash, then to rinse, then to filter and tried again. Same thing. I then shut down and the flow still continued in more of a siphon mode. Obviously something is stuck open, but unsure if it is addressable by a repair of the valve, or if it is needing replacement, or am I way off on diagnosis.

Thanks!

Open up the multiport valve and take a look. These are not really maintenance free valves. They are designed to be opened up and maintained. Your spider gasket could be worn out 7 seasons is a lot. You could also have something stuck in there. Should be 6-10 screws holding the top on. Might want to have a rebuild kit for your valve on standby before you open it up. Get the spider gasket and the oring. Usually they sell rebuild kits InyoPools will know what you need. Good luck! Post pics!

Reactions: kimkats
Thanks PoolGate. I did see that after futher review, I am finding this to be the spider gasket. Should I spend the $30, plus a new $10 on a new pressure valve ($40 total), or get an entire new Vari-flo XL valve for $85? That would replace all gaskets and all. Thank you!

Thanks PoolGate. I did see that after futher review, I am finding this to be the spider gasket. Should I spend the $30, plus a new $10 on a new pressure valve ($40 total), or get an entire new Vari-flo XL valve for $85? That would replace all gaskets and all. Thank you!

Replacing the valve is major plumbing. If nothing else leaks and it is in generally good shape I would not replace the entire valve. I am replacing a very old (15 years) multiport this weekend. It has been in full sun for 15 years. It is cracked and totally discolored it is shot.

For you, if rebuild only is all it needs it should make it good for another 7 seasons!

If the same valve is still in production, you could just undo the screws and swap out everything that moves, leaving the housing and all its plumbing undisturbed. But a rebuild kit isn't a whole lot more work and there's no worries that they changed something. There are plenty of how-to videos on youtube.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.