Filter spitting algae

Hockeykid

May 28, 2020
CT
Hi
I have an above ground pool with Sand filter. I changed the sand this year for the first time in 8 years. My water is crystal clear but once I run the pump it spits out what I think is algae that settles to the floor but doesn’t discolor the water, just looks like I have dirt on the floor. I made sure it wasn’t spitting sand and also replaced the MTP Spring and spider gasket while at it. Checked the laterals too. I cannot pickup the dirt with my fingers as it poofs away. I’m told it’s algae.

If I vacuum with my robot and don’t run the pump then the water stays clean. If I run the pump then I will get a dirty the floor.

I attempted to shock the pool for several days. Attempted algacide. Attempted floc and vacuum to waste (which dumps a ton of water from the pool…a real PIA). I do admit that I did buy the floc from a non pool store that’s products might be a little lower grad then a pool store (not sure if that truly a concern).

Thanks
Matt

I attempted to shock the pool for several days. Attempted algacide. Attempted floc and vacuum to waste (which dumps a ton of water from the pool…a real PIA). I do admit that I did buy the floc from a non pool store that’s products might be a little lower grad then a pool store (not sure if that truly a concern).
That sounds like part of the problem right there. You need to follow the SLAM Process to kill & remove algae. Mechanical filtering alone will not do it. Be sure you have your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit ready for the SLAM Process.

I finally bought a TF-100 kit. These were my results. Do you have any recommendations? What FC level do I need and how much chlorine is that?

PH 6.4
.5 FC, .5 CC, 1 TC
TA 30
CYA 60
CH 150

Pool: Sand filter, 18,000 gallons above ground

Double check that pH test.......that's not a possible result with the TF-100

I would suggest to start your SLAM immediately, Use nothing in your pool but liquid chlorine.

With a CYA of 60, you'll need about 24 ppm of chlorine, I think.

SLAM is a process.......not a one time application. Follow the SLAM process to a T.

That's dead algae appearing on your pool floor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Surprising to me that your CYA is just fine. Pucks drive down the pH and TA but they also drive the CYA w-a-a-a-y up

Regardless, bring your pH up to 7.2 if you trust that meter. Use washing soda so your TA comes up as well. PoolMath will calculate the dosage for you

I slowly I brought my PH up to 7.2 using both TF-100 and the PH meter just to be safe. I and started the SLAM this weekend. I think I am seeing good progress with the amount of dead algae I’m vacuuming up. It’s been fun playing scientist even though my family is beginning to think I am nutz. Couple questions:

Is it normal to see the test results show bigger dips in FC as the week goes on? i was loosing about 3ppm during the day and 3ppm overnight in the beginning. Now today I lost 3.5 overnight and 6 ppm throughout the day. (With work I cannot test throughout the day).

Secondly, I am churning through the R-0871 solution. With a higher FC requirement of 24 I am using a lot of drops. I reordered 2 bottles but not due until Saturday. If I run out of chemicals is it ok to keep putting in the same amount of chlorine each day as I have been to keep the FC up until I can test again. (Same situation will be when I am traveling for work for a couple days next week. I’ll just tell someone to add x amount each day)? Hopefully this lack of testing doesn’t set me back.

CC has been going back and forth between .5 and 1

Full disclosure, I couldn’t get to the pool store this week (open only during work hours), so I had to go to a Job Lot to buy pool supplies, not ideal. I could only find Cal Hypo granular shock so if m stuck with that rather than liquid chlorine. Doing the best I can with a crazy work schedule.

Is it normal to see the test results show bigger dips in FC as the week goes on?
It can fluctuate. Just do your best to maintain the proper level.

If I run out of chemicals is it ok to keep putting in the same amount of chlorine each day as I have been to keep the FC up until I can test again.
It should be fine for a short period of 2-3 days. If it goes longer let us know.

Be sure to inspect all potential hiding areas of the pool. If you have a ladder it should be out. Good luck!

My pool seems to be back in proper order after passing the overnight test a week or two ago. Now time for closing it and looking forward to the spring. Just wanted to say Thank You for the expertise and help. This site is truly a blessing. The pool store was of no help fixing my issue. With your help I feel back in control again.

Reactions: Texas Splash
full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.