Filter replacement during refill?

Sep 29, 2019
Tucson, AZ
I'd like to drain and refill my pool in the near future. I am not sure the last time it has been done but most likely quite some time ago. I will power wash the calcium line while it is empty. My question is regarding the need to replace the cartridge in the filter during this time. The cyanuric acid is very high and I was told that it tends to bind to the filter so it should be replaced as well. I'd really like to avoid this as the cartridge is less than 6 months old and hundreds of dollars (system 3).

Is it usually best to replace the filter when the water is replaced in the pool?

Is it usually best to replace the filter when the water is replaced in the pool?
AC, I'm not aware of CYA (stabilizer) effecting the filter. Muriatic acid, poured directly on a dirty filter, yes. But you are approaching the time of year when it's generally acceptable to do a major water exchange for your area which should help lower CYA and CH. Perhaps just give those filters a good TSP soaking instead?

That was my thought. Even if it did the concentration would be minimal. I haven’t looked at the filter since I replaced the entire unit in May. The concern was more geared to making sure the water is cleared of contaminants rather than potential damage to the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.