Gold Supporter
May 15, 2019
Bridgewater, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I opened the pool around memorial day weekend. Found out my old DE filter was leaking at the dirty water intake. New filter was installed about a week ago. Since pool was open for long time it's been really diety. Lot of algae and leaves at the bottom. As you can see the pics, this is the condition of the water. Lot better than what it was 3 days ago. I even open3d the filter yesterday and hosed down th3 grids. I added around 6 cups of DE to recharge. Now it's doing the same thing. Pressure goes up within hour or tow max. I end up backwashing and start again. Same cycle.
What I started now is stop adding DE after backwashing. I know that's not good for the grids. Chances are higher for grids getting damaged. I also added hair net at both Skimmer baskets to control the gunk getting to the filter. I am following the SLAM process but trying to understand why it's getting clogged so quickly.

Attachments

• 20230630_135926.jpg
    20230630_135926.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230630_135907.jpg
    20230630_135907.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230630_135850.jpg
    20230630_135850.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230630_135845.jpg
    20230630_135845.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 11
@duraleigh here are the numbers from this morning.
Ph around 8.2
FC 14.5
cc 1
TC 15.5

Calcium hardness 175
Alkalinity 80
Cya 40

I opened the filter this morning and hose down the grids again. Pressure stays around 15 psi for an hour and now its 20 psi and I can see the waterfall flow slowing down.

Last edited:
Your signature says you have a nautilus cc plus. Do you have the ultra fine filter cartridges? They can be helpful & turn your little bot into a roving cartridge filter taking some of the load off your de filter. Even if not, put him to work!
DE filters are a double edged sword- very fine filtration (which is awesome normally) leads to them getting dirty quickly especially at the beginning of slam or when there’s an algae problem. The good news is that they help clear the pool much quicker than sand filters. But have patience, it will still take some time to clear your pool.
Backwash as needed & recharge your de with the appropriate amount each time, this will prevent you having to manually clean the grids as often & prevent possible damage to your new filter.

Keep your fc @16ppm as often as you can & be sure to do all the things to help the process go more quickly:
*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, etc.)
*If water can go there, algae can thrive there.
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

You are done when:
✅ CC is 0.5 or lower;
✅ You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
✅ The water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

SLAM ON 🤩

I guess I never had my pool get this bad. Having the cover open since memorialize weekend allowed algae to grow out if control.

I have been using the robot vac. It's been life saving. I do see it picking up dead algae in thr filter. It's just annoying opening the filter to hose down the grids. Probably have to do it one more time today. Really appreciate all the help.

One more question, are there different alternatives to de media powder than DE itself? I know there is food grade and pool grade. But are there different option in pool DE?

Keep at it!
Having the cover off or on isn’t the problem. Your fc got too low in relation to your cya at some point. This can happen with the cover on as well.
There are alternatives to DE such as cellulose “fiber” products.
Some claim they capture more than de which would mean more backwashing & more cleaning of the grids. Your filter is currently doing it’s job & a great one at that, hence the need to frequently backwash.
The media itself isn’t the problem.
Keep with slam to kill all the algae then there will be no more dead algae to clog up the filter 😊
Some people choose a cellulose product if they have an issue with the effluent de hanging around as cellulose is biodegradable.

So backwashing and rinse wasn't helping. So I opened the filter. This is my 3rd time hoseing down the grid. Does it look like a badly clogged grid?

Attachments

• 20230703_202035.jpg
    20230703_202035.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230703_202039.jpg
    20230703_202039.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 5
The filter doesnt look terrible to me.

Chlorine is the most important factor at this point since that is what kills the algae and not the filter. If you are tired of backwashing, can you bypass the filter and focus on chlorine? Then in a few days once most of the algae is dead, switch the filter back on and start filtering out the dead algae. You will have to backwash frequently then, but at least you will be filtering out dead algae vs algae that is continuing to grow and multiply.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After this hose wash, pressure has been staying steady around 10/15 PSI for past, 3 hours. I added another gallon of chlorine as well. Water is getting clear. I am now able to see the bottom drain. Still little cloudy.

One more question, are there different alternatives to de media powder than DE itself? I know there is food grade and pool grade. But are there different option in pool DE?

I used to use Aqua Perl for years in my DE filter, it is an alternative to DE. As far as recharging my DE filter I would bump it and watch the backwash hose until the water wouldn't come out grey. It was on a AG pool and I used gravity for the backwash pressure, I would have to bump the grids 3 or 4 times to get non grey water before recharging.

Pool is looking great.. Just need to bring down the PH and burn off some Chlorine.

Attachments

• IMG-20230705-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20230705-WA0004.jpg
    884.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230704_172532.jpg
    20230704_172532.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230704_164852.jpg
    20230704_164852.jpg
    777.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.