MikeLikesPools

Aug 12, 2021
DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey all, so to summarize my issues to date I thought my pressure issue with my pool filter was related to algae previously but it seems that is not the case?

I fought off algae with yalls help (none visible but definitely was losing too much FC) and I SLAM'd for a few days a few weeks back and got my problem fixed. My filter pressures were consistently 9-11~ range for weeks and at the time I was only using two speeds on my VS 3450(max) and 3000(about 85%) 24hours a day.

Pressures on filter were fine for weeks until a few days ago I wanted to tweak the overnight to a lower RPM. I put the speed for overnight to 2200RPM for around 8hours. Now I get an air bubble that forms (Ive read here this is common with VS) but the pressure in the tank jumped up like 4psi (during highest speed cycle) after the first night after the change then after the second night its up another 4psi sitting at clean?? I vented the filter and there was definitely air. To be safe I did an Overnight chlorine loss test twice I lost 0 the first time and .5 the second. I added more liquid chlorine this morning but Im puzzled why my pressure is doing this? any thoughts? All pressure readings I do are when pump is running at my highest RPM).

I still need to tweak my cya higher but I want to figure this issue out before I do anything else. My test results are in my signature. Thanks for any help!

note: I have not backwashed since I took apart my filter for a deep clean about a month ago, I can certainly do that if required but it just seems fishy that when I made this adjustment the filter pressure issue appeared. Prior to adding my VS I only had to backwash once every 2-3months.

Last edited:
My pump has three programmable speeds with the lowest time increment possible to set is 15 minutes. I run my pump 24/7. I program in a daytime speed and a nighttime speed that is lower then daytime speed. In order to get rid of most of the air bubble I use the third speed to ramp the pump up to max for fifteen minutes before the daytime speed kicks in. I have noticed that running the pump at lower speeds seems to really help the pump. I have a sand filter and I notice it, I’m sure the DE filter is really picking up a lot of stuff.

My pump has three programmable speeds with the lowest time increment possible to set is 15 minutes. I run my pump 24/7. I program in a daytime speed and a nighttime speed that is lower then daytime speed. In order to get rid of most of the air bubble I use the third speed to ramp the pump up to max for fifteen minutes before the daytime speed kicks in. I have noticed that running the pump at lower speeds seems to really help the pump. I have a sand filter and I notice it, I’m sure the DE filter is really picking up a lot of stuff.
thanks for the advice. I actually run my daytime at max for 6hours then the remaining 16 hours is 85% for 8 hours then I was using 50%. At 30-40%, due to the design, the pump I have, imho, has a poor design for the pump basket which relies on internal suction to secure basket. The original pump I had was a screw on with threading but it was single speed. I believe the pump basket design is flawed from letting in air unless you use 50% or more RPM which defeats the purpose somewhat of a variable speed pump.

Im still wrapping my head around the turn over myth and once I get my cya situated I plan to lower my daytime high speed to be 80% for 2hours 60% for 8 hours and 50% for 8hours which should be enough movement and get me the cost savings.

Reactions: Orion7319
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.