Filter cleaning and replacement routine

Jan 13, 2019
Longmont, CO
TLDR
How often do you replace your filters, and what if any cleaning routine do you follow?

Details:
I've had my tub for a year now. First fill I didn't clean w/Ahh-some first and the water was always a bit gnarly. I sprayed out the filters weekly, had two sets, and swapped them monthly w/the old set getting a cleaning treatment w/eco-soak from Spa Depot. The original set cleaned up well but the replacement set got discolored and stayed that way. The second fill I purged w/Ahh-some first and left the filters in the tub to get cleaned out. I also switched to an SWG chlorinator. At first I followed the same routine w/the filters but it seemed unnecessary - they just didn't get that dirty. I wound up using the same set of filters for most of the last 6 months, and only rinsed them out maybe monthly.
Now I'm on my third fill - just purged w/Ahh-some and refilled. Decided to swap the second set of filters back in. They were discolored to start with but definitely got browner over the last week since the refill so I rinsed them out today. Now I wondering if I should just toss both of the used sets of filters out and start with a fresh set. Also wondering if I really need to have the two sets and do the eco soak treatment etc. I'd be very interested to hear what other folks do, especially those w/SWG systems.
Thanks!
Joe

I am interested to see what others say. I have a new tub, and haven't cleaned the filters yet. Spa company said to soak them in cleaner (that they provided) and rinse monthly. My tub has 5 large filters as it is 100% filtration, even with the jets on, so this will be a bit of a process to do every month...But I'm game if it keeps the water cleaner.

I am approaching a year of ownership of my first hot tub - my tub has only one filter as it is very small. I used a brand new filter after my first Ahh-some purge and then hosed it out every month or so - I have done a water swap and Ahh-some treatment twice during the year as well.

Earlier this year I ended up with a leak and used some liquid leak fix stuff that I figured would gum up the filter a bit, so I got a brand new filter and installed it after the leak fix stuff did it's job (after I filtered out the leak fix using the old filter). I am keeping the old filter around for anytime I need to clean anything like the leak fix stuff and/or for the first few days after a new fill - then I will use my newer filter for regular run times.

I have also been using Himalayan pink salt in the tub which stains the filters a little, so I plan on using the old filter when I add that into the water to help keep my nicer filter a bit cleaner...

I do notice a bit of improved jet power when I put in the new filter - so I think the increase in power is due to the cleaner filter which allows the water to flow just a bit better. I am using a 120v setup with my hot tub so every little bit helps.

I am approaching a year of ownership of my first hot tub - my tub has only one filter as it is very small. I used a brand new filter after my first Ahh-some purge and then hosed it out every month or so - I have done a water swap and Ahh-some treatment twice during the year as well.

Earlier this year I ended up with a leak and used some liquid leak fix stuff that I figured would gum up the filter a bit, so I got a brand new filter and installed it after the leak fix stuff did it's job (after I filtered out the leak fix using the old filter). I am keeping the old filter around for anytime I need to clean anything like the leak fix stuff and/or for the first few days after a new fill - then I will use my newer filter for regular run times.

I have also been using Himalayan pink salt in the tub which stains the filters a little, so I plan on using the old filter when I add that into the water to help keep my nicer filter a bit cleaner...

I do notice a bit of improved jet power when I put in the new filter - so I think the increase in power is due to the cleaner filter which allows the water to flow just a bit better. I am using a 120v setup with my hot tub so every little bit helps.

So are you still rinsing the new filter monthly? Have you used any kind of cleaning routine other than that?

Fundamentally my questions come down to this:
1) How often should I replace my filters?
2) How often should I rinse my filters while they are in use?
3) Do I need to bother with cleaning the filters with something like eco-soak, or is this a waste of time?

Obviously the goal is to get as much life out of the filters as is reasonable, while also eliminating unnecessary cleaning that doesn't really do anything.

Most hot tubs, when the jets are running, have a large suction port at the bottom that bypasses the filters, as they cannot keep up with the volume of water when all the jets are on. Mine does not do this, it has 5 large filters, and all of the water runs through the filters all the time. Makes for a bit more effort to clean them, which is why this post caught my eye...

So are you still rinsing the new filter monthly? Have you used any kind of cleaning routine other than that?

Fundamentally my questions come down to this:
1) How often should I replace my filters?
2) How often should I rinse my filters while they are in use?
3) Do I need to bother with cleaning the filters with something like eco-soak, or is this a waste of time?

Obviously the goal is to get as much life out of the filters as is reasonable, while also eliminating unnecessary cleaning that doesn't really do anything.

I am rinsing my filter every few weeks or when I think about it honestly. I think the other answers to your questions are it depends....

How clean are the filters staying, how easy are they to clean, how many users, how big a tub? A high bather load VS a low bather load, like mine, changes things substantially.

I think doing a deeper cleaning is probably useful twice a year in my mind - and the Ahh-some purge and soaking of the filters has accomplished that for me to this point when I do a water exchange.

New filters are also pretty cheap - my single filter is $20 so I feel good about getting a new one anytime it seems old...

That all makes sense, and as you, it depends on a lot of factors. My bather load is relatively light, mostly just me, 15-20 minutes/day. I suppose a lot of it is user preference ... since the discolored filters are bothering me and since I got a years worth of use out of 'em I should just chuck 'em and switch to a new set. In the end it seems like a lot of this maintenance stuff is personal preference, and experimentation based on your tub.

Reactions: santacruzpool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.